Snails

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Does anyone have those big brown snails that were brought here by the French for Escargot ?

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

No, but the solution sure seems simple. All you need is a light white wine butter sauce and your garden problems are solved! ;>)

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Dont forget the GARLIC!

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Ba-da-BUMP.

Ana and I will be here all week.

Don't forget to tip your waitress.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I understand turtles love to eat them I haven't tried them with my sliders yet. I know they clean up the tadpoles.
Jan...

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I am doing experiments with the Rosy Predator Snail and was looking for some of these [big Brown Snails] to try with the Predators.--OH WELL--I have heard that they were a problem in the State[Florida] but have yet to talk to anyone that has any--Michael

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

We tried! I used to have snail problems but for some reason they have disappeared. I dont really use pesticides, or fertilizers for that matter (laziness, you see) but maybe they just didnt like my yard.

And garlic will fix anything!

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

I supose that the snails are not as big a problem as it was reported to be--if none of the Florida gardeners have them in their garden--I also read that the large African Snail was introduced here, and was a problem in some areas, but have not talked to anyone that has these either--OH WELL

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

I have seen an article in the Orlando Sentinel about the Apple Snail. That was last year some time. I took a closer look out front and realize I do have some small snails - no larger than 1/2 inch. I think my slugs drowned in the rains earlier in the year. I have not seen them for a while. I will find the occasional leech, but that's it. The rest are 6 and more legged. I did a quick search and found an article that says the African snail was eradicated a few years back... http://www.cabi-bioscience.ch/wwwgisp/gtc5cs8.htm

Ana

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

Interesting article.

What fool would release a foreign SNAIL into their garden?

duh

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

I have brown snails, a lot of brown snails. They are everywhere in my yard and nursery. You want some of 'em.

They are responsible for destroying lots of my seedlings or cuttings. They eat plants.

Art

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Art --how big are they?--are they Quarter size?--If so they may be the ones I am looking for---- if they are smaller than that --i could share some of the predator snails with you --they will eat all other snails--[and slugs]--they will however not QUIT TILL ALL OTHERS ARE EXTINCT-----lol

They range in size up to about a quarter. I don't understand why you are having difficulty finding them. They are everywhere down here. Mostly I have just the brown one's but occasionally I get one or two of those that have a corkscrew type of shell.

Later this morning our SF Galloping Gardeners are hosting a round up so I am kinda buisy this morning. When I get home I will take some pictures and send them attached them to this thread.

jnana, (Val) a member of our group, swears by a product called something like, Escargo be gone. She says it kills them by removing their ability to reproduce. Once the current group of snails completes it's life cycle no more will be born.

Art

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I will wait for your Pictures--

Ok, here is a picture I took this morning. I was too buisy with the round up yesterday to get out into the yard with enough light to snap a pic.

I put three of them with measuring tape to show their size. This is about the average size for a full grown brown snail here. All I had to do to find these pests was look in three large pots on the pool patio and viola...three snails.

Art

Thumbnail by artcons
Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Art, --those are the kind I used to have before I introduced the Predators--Thanks--If they should get to be a problem, I can send you some Predators, --Michael

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Those look right for harvest. Dogzilllllllla, yoohoo.
;)

Sugar, do people actually eat these things?
I throw them at the East wall bordering my property. The shells smash and the snails die. Birds come down and quickly eat them.

Michael, before I commit let me check with Val, one of our club members. She is a master gardener that spends lots of time at the local UF extension service. She knows what's happening as far as what's acceptable to introduce here and what not to introduce. We are making a trip together today to a nursery in Homestead. I will get back to you tonight.

Art

Erwin, TN(Zone 7a)

Alright--The Rosy Predator Snail is a Native of Florida, however they are not liked by some as they will compleetly destroy all the other snails, and Slugs [Slugs first] in the area. They are strictly carniverous, I have tried to get them to eat plants but they will starve first.

Tallahassee, FL(Zone 8b)

:: starts peeling garlic ::

:: heats saute pan ::

:: uncorks white wine ::

I'm going to the extension service this morning. I will ask about them there.

Art

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.