rooting fuchsia gartenmeister?

Lake Toxaway, NC(Zone 7a)

I love this carefree and productive plant. But they are hard to find and buy so after I cut them back and put them in the basement for the winter, I had a nice bouquet. Then it occurred to me that I should root them once they finish blooming and I cut back the bloom area.
So I dipped them in rootone and put them in a nice potting mixture and they are in a warm place with light.
Do you think sitting in the water for a week will stop them from rooting? Also, there were no leaves on the bottom half of the stems once I cut the top half off, they are just sticks right now.

Thumbnail by woodspirit1

Most Fuchsia are easy from cuttings and should root in about 21 days, the water won't have bothered them at all. I'm not quite sure how you've done the cuttings though, have you planted middle bits of branch (top and bottom cut off)? Are there any leaves or side shoots on the cuttings?

This message was edited Nov 5, 2005 11:50 PM

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

On your picture, you have fruits attached on the twigs, you might collect the seeds although there is a risk that the progeny will be slightly diferent to the parent. Bottom warming helps a lot in rooting fall cuttings.

Baa, from those you see in the photo, I took the bottom 1/3. But there was some growth left on the parent plants and John took those plants to the basement.
Some have little green leaves trying to emerge but no branching.
zarcanat, alas, I have already thrown away everything but the cuttings. These don't produce many seed pods and I have not tried them as I am not very good at seeds. However, my husband is building a small greenhouse now. I am so excited.
The pot I put them all in is sitting in a cookie sheet and that is sitting on a heating pad. I raised the temperature until I feel the cookie sheet was a little warm and I am hoping some of that heat is rising into the pot.

You might have some success with those Woodspirit. Usually Fuchsia cuttings are taken from the upper part of the stem, cutting just above the 4th node from the top, leaving the top pair of leaves on the cutting. I'd love to know how they do, I've never tried it that way before.

This message was edited Nov 7, 2005 1:04 AM

Baa, I have a gardening software and it has a page for me to post reminders. So I will make a note there to let you know. Thanks for your help...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.