Mulched strawberries for winter?

Caledonia, MN

How soon can I mulch in Zone 4?

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

In the past, I subscribed to the theory that when winter temps reach 20 degrees F.or lower for a sustained period, it is time to mulch with a few inches of hay. By that time, the plants have given up all thoughts of the benefits of photosynthesis and have settled in to their long, winter's nap. My job, with the aid of mulch, is to see that they are not repeatedly woken up by warm temps until spring.

Having said that, my inherited, abandoned garden had a large bed of strawberries which had lain uncovered in a weed bed for several years, with temps down to minus 40 degrees F. for at least a couple of years.. They produced a pretty fair crop of berries this year after weeding and thinning, so I'm not sure if my advice or that I've received amounts to much. Still, in another few weeks, I'll probably mulch them when the ground is frozen and the temps hit 20 degrees.

Wayne

Caledonia, MN

In recent years, limited rain left them mostly unproductive. I've tried spreading compost around them etc. This year, for example, they didn't runner until we had more liberal fall rains. I keep saying that I'll try one more year. You know how that goes. Your advice is right along with what I've been told. We're having our "Native American summer," and I want to do everything I can outside. Well, there're always other jobs until then.

Thank you for your response.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Strawberries need to be mowed after harvest time. This cleans the area up, makes the plants rejuvenate themselves, and then grows some runners too. The main strawberry plants don't last more than a few years. The new plants/runners are the ones you want to keep going.
I mowed my berries down hard after harvest and then put some mulch around the existing plants. Also must keep them watered. They have put out many berries this way.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Carol

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I grow both the June barring and the day neutrals.
I try to protect them from the freeze / thaw action so after a good freeze they get covered with 4 - 5 inches of leaves.

Cleveland, GA(Zone 7a)

This time of year I have a lot of pine needles falling from my giant pine tree, and I rake them up and mulch the strawberry boxes. I usually dust the strawberry plants with 7 dust before I add the mulch, to keep ants from making a home in there. In the spring when the plants start to grow the decomposing pine needles will help maintain an acidic feed for the berries and also helps to have the berries sitting on the pine needles instead of sitting in the dirt.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.