Is anyone going to try the smoke method to germinate seeds

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I was looking at the JLhudson seeds today and noticed that he recommended smoke method to germinate some things. Later I saw on his page that it uses the liquid smoke found in stores, usually around the steak sauces and other condiments. He said you could also lay some hay or straw or pine needles on top of the buried seeds and set it afire.
I just may try this method for the sake of something new.
SMOKE TREATMENT
When "smoke" or "smoke treatment" is suggested, this is done by either soaking the seeds overnight (or until they swell) in a dilute solution of smoke, or by watering the flat or pot once with the dilute smoke solution. Dilute smoke solution is prepared by adding one part commercial "smoke flavoring" to nine or ten parts water. Smoke flavoring is found in the grocery store in the spice and flavoring, or barbecue section. It comes in small brown bottles of liquid, called "liquid smoke" or "hickory seasoning". Look for the "all natural" type that lists only water and natural smoke concentrate as ingredients. "Wright's" is the brand we find out here in California.
Smoke treatment often benefits plants which grow in fire-prone environments, particularly Mediterranean-climate plants such as many species from California, South Africa, Australia, Chile, and the Mediterranean region. For a list of genera that have responded to smoke treatment, click here:
http://jlhudsonseeds.net/SmokeGenera.htm
This is still a very experimental method, and you may have to try different dilutions. Let us know your results!
A similar result can be had from burning a layer of straw or pine needles on top of the flat.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Windy, someone posted on another forum, I think grasses about growing some special seeds that were accustomed to being in smoldering type conditions before they sprouted. I'll look and see where I saw it. I know he was buying the chemical smoke to sprout those seeds.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Ah ha! I knew he was trying to germinate something starting with an R and he lives in CA. LOL Look up some of the posts by Chuck1260.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

Thanks very much. I think I read somewhere that passiflora seed could benefit from smoke.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.