how to collect these seeds?

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

How and when do I harvest the seeds from:
Maypops [passion flower] have TONS of these!!
Hyacinth bean vine- the purple bean pods are not dry nor seem very plump.

THANKS!!

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Don't know about maypops, but the hyacinth bean vine, just wait until they start to dry some, them pull them off, bring them in shell the seeds out of the pods, and put them on a paper plate to continue drying for 2 weeks or so. Then into zip lock bags.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

THANKS so much defoecat!

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Anyone know how and when to harvest passiflora seeds?

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

The maypops need to be yellowish and sort of shriveling. The seeds inside are surrounded by a jelly-type stuff. Maybe someone will come along with a better answer on what to do with them.

Belleville , IL(Zone 6b)

I let the Maypops fall off of the vines. Then I collect them and let them shrivle and turn yellow. The seeds inside are in a glutenous mess. LOL They are ripe when they are black and about the size and shape of an apple seed.
I haven't found an easy or unmessy way to get the seed out. One year I did sprinkle some salt on then to give myself some traction to get the goo off. I think maybe fine sand might work but I never have any handy to try.
You can also spread them onto paper towels and smash them to get them loose from the gooey stuff. Sort of POP them out of it. I have also used rags and spread them onto the rag, but it gets gooey quickly and is still messy.
Once I left one open on the driveway for the ants to eat away the fruity part. It worked, but took a couple of weeks. LOL

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Windy,

THANKS so much!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.