Snap Dragons

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

I happened to do some yard clean up yesterday to get the yard ready for the winter. I got a good look at my snap dragons and I found seeds! Whoo hoo....got the plastic bag and started pulling the seeds from the plants. When is the good time to plant these seeds in Zone 5a under grow lamps? How do I know it's riped and ready to sow?

New into propation....:)

St. Louis County, MO(Zone 5a)

I've searched DG for this answer, and didn't find one, so I'm going to bump this back into discussion, hoping for an answer. I'd love to start snapdragons!

Conneaut, OH(Zone 5a)

I live in zone 5. I have always just done direct sow in early spring.They like the cooler weather.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Here in my zone 3, I start my snaps about 13 weeks before my set out date. Of course, you are in a warmer zone, so you could shave a considerable amount from that. I've seen planting instructions on packets that suggest February to April. It all depends on your zone and when you want to see blooms.

Thank you all!

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Around here, we put the seeds on the ground in March. Some sprout all by themselves in fall and overwinter, even under the snow.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

It's a lot easier starting them outside, my first year sowing underlights was a disaster they grew way too leggy I just plant them outside now when the rains come in the spring.

Well now that is great news, they are the cutest flowers and lasted through all of our wacky weather this year. Thanks for the information! I figured out why I wasn't finding any information, I searched snap dragons, not snapdragons. What a difference a space makes.

Greenville, IN(Zone 6a)

That's funny lol I do that all of the time and can't figure out why I can't google? lol

The snaps alway reseed out front where I have pots on the porch and the seeds fall down on the ground, the first year I did it I was holding my breath figured I wouldn't get any I think they all came up.

I'm going to leave the big pot they were in undisturbed and see if they come back since yours reseed. They were a very pretty yellow with a bit of white. I looked for seed but was too late.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.