Sloped large back yard PLEASE help.

Rogers, AR(Zone 5b)

We moved to Beaver Lake in Rogers, Arkansas a year ago, and have a back yard that is 100' wide by 150 ' deep.
The problem is the back yard is at a 45 degree and impossible to walk. We have added 3 tiered decks at the back of the
house then concrete steps that go at an angle from one side of the yard down hill to the other side to two more decks,
then another set of concrete steps that go at an angle back across and down the yard to the last deck and steps to the corp line. We have ad to do all of this by hand
as we cannot get anything to the back yard. Believe me dragging all those concrete bags down the hill was a chore, cut now we can get down to the water.

Now my problem is the planting. I have mostly shade with a few areas of full sun but worst of all I have not done much planting. I have found I love working in the yard, but have little knowledge.
with such a large area, I need to come up with some ideas that will not break the bank. I thought of ground cover, but would hate to do the whole yard the same and afraid I would end up with it taking over everything. I also thought of seeds, but still don't know how to decide what to plant where, and how to plant so something is always there. I don't mind hard work, but need help on a plan, and what plants will be hardy.

I would appreaciate any ideas.

Thumbnail by CynthiaZ
This thread has 34 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!