Photos please!?

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I was wondering if some of you could post pics of your perennial gardens that have lilies in them. I am going to order some lilies and need some ideas on where to place them. Like how they look best. I am hoping to see more like the 'whole garden' type shots for ideas, not the 'close up' of flower type photos.

Maybe it would be okay if I posted some photos of my beds and you could give me some ideas or pointers on how to get them to look more full of flowers and color. Would that be okay on this forum?

Thanks for any photos you post or advice, because I have seen so many beautiful gardens in this place that I know you can help. ;o)
Sherry

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Hi Sherry, you are more than welcome to post pics!

However, you want to be sure to watch this forum over the winter when we're all starved for blooms. Lots of Lily discussion then. I imagine that others might still be busy planting bulbs right now. I sure am!

I seem to be very lacking in "garden shots". Here is one from last year ~ lilies in the back of the border with annuals in front and flanked by 2 Clematis. The footboard was placed in front of the lilies to hide and attach the chicken wire to fence out the bunnies.

Thumbnail by Moby
Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Sherry,
Here's 'Endless Love' (white) and 'Rhodes' (red) growing in the open shade of a hosta bed along with the hot pink "Little Missy' (bottom right corner) They all seemed to get along fine.

Thumbnail by Iowaron
Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

Here's 'Iowa Snowflakes' (the tall trumpets) and a couple of seedlings growing with purple coneflowers in a sunnier part of the yard.

Thumbnail by Iowaron
Johnston, IA(Zone 5a)

And here's 'Thunderbolt' with 'Regale' in the background in a full sun border.

Thumbnail by Iowaron
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ok i will try to post some

I have a lily and rose garden that im really loving!!!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

another

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

dont let the gals see this they will raid my garden ;)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

they think im just into daylilies-ha!

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

just sneak a few more in

Thumbnail by notmartha
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

ok one more quick while moby isnt looking! ;)

Thumbnail by notmartha
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Moby, Iowaron, notmartha,

WOW! WOW and WOW!!!! Now I am ordering them for sure! It's just so confusing to figure out which colors go with which and which ones will bloom at the same times and for how long. So many questions! I am thinking of these:

Tom Pouce
Bergamo
Coral Sunset
Kiss Me Kate
Marquee
Pollyanna
Chianti
Connecticut Memory

Can anyone enlighten me as to the specific bloom times for any of these particular lilies? Or is it different from zone to zone. I think I'm in zone 5b?

I'm going to order them from Blooming Bulbs. You have to order in lots of 5 of each kind and they are offering free shipping. I can get them even cheaper if I order in lots of 15. But that is a little more than I want to spend. If anyone is interested in going in together on any of these, maybe we can do it. ;o)

I will post pics of my garden when I have the time to get some pointers from you experts! Thank you again so much. The photos are all BEAUTIFUL!
Sherry

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

here are a few more places to PEEK at!

HYPERLINK@www.thebloomingauction.com

start there and tell i sent you-great deals

another favorite of mine is our own member bleek-Bert
http://www.eflowergarden.com/

great deals!

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

geeze i just got a bunch from that first link i gave ya(ssshhhs they are listening) but i will sneak a peak!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

notmartha,
At the aution site you gave me, it seems kind of pricey if you have to pay $4 for the bulb and another $4 for the shipping. Or am I missing something?
Sherry

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Here are some of mine.
Inanda

Thumbnail by inanda
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

And another

Thumbnail by inanda
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

I saw that, Dori!

OOoooo Inanda! What is that last one? Such a rich color ~ looks like garnets.

Sherry, it looks like you've made some great choices!
Here is the only other pic I could find that wasn't a close up ~ (sorry, the pic is sorta huge!)

Thumbnail by Moby
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Hi Moby,

Red Velvet. Stone & Payne. A very old one.

Inanda

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Sherry you can combine shipping when you win her auctions
and the bulbs are good size.

I will check out the ones you are looking at!

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

notmartha,
I'm off to work now, but will be back later to order the lilies. The lilies are only going to cost me $2.38 a bulb if I order in lots of 5 or $1.66 if I order in lots of 15, plus no shipping. But 15 of each is a little more than I wanted to spend if I order all the different ones I posted about. Have a great day and talk to you later. ;o)

Anyone need some lilies??? Would be a good time to split the cost!!! ;o) Anywhooooo, gonna place my order later today.
Sherry

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

NOOO thank you ~ still have at least 30 bulbs waiting in the fridge. I think this one I got from bloomingauction is going to require dynamite to get it planted.

Sherry, do keep in mind that this is a HUGE exception for bulb size!

Thumbnail by Moby
Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

oh moby i cant wait to get my order from Lisa-i have heard wonderful things about the lily bulb she sends!!! :)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Not Martha, What is that pink tall thingy in your last photo???

Here is a picture of one of my patches from last year.

Hot off the press news.

Watch out for a new asiatic Name will be In the Zone (cold zone) A cross between Sun God (Yessss that one) and Red Knight. Don't know yet who will be introducing it.

I do have a picture of it but don't know how to get it out of an email and into this (or any other DG thread). Can't wait to see it in bloom.

Inanda

Thumbnail by inanda
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Here is In The Zone. Thankyou Echoes for telling me how to do this. Lets see if I followed instructions properly. Quite a spectacular lily. Far stronger than Sun God. Better substance, so I'm told.

Inanda

Thumbnail by inanda
Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

OOOH! adding that one to my wishlist!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Still spectacular even after I had to pick up my jaw because I thought you were showing us a blue lily. LOL

Willamette Valley, OR(Zone 8a)

Moby, that's what I thought too! LOL

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

OMG, I'm in love (again!)

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

oh that is pink loosestrife

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Loosestrife. It isn't a noxious weed in Michigan?
Inanda

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

I just want to say thank you so much to everyone who posted their photos. They are all beautiful and help me to see the different ways to use them in my beds. I really appreciate your replies! Now when I find some time to post pics of my beds, I will, and maybe you all can give me some tips for my own beds.

Your gardens are just beautiful!

How far apart should I plant the lilies?

I bought a bag of mixed lily bulbs at Walmart this spring. They came up and bloomed, but nothing like I'm seeing here. I will try to post a picture of them. Will they get bigger and have more flowers on them next year? How long does it take til they start looking like the photos you all posted here? Is it normal for them to be so small this first year?

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Here's another one from the mixed Walmart bag.
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

And one more from mixed bag. It looks like a Stargazer to me? But it only had one bloom and was very short. Is this normal for the first year?
Sherry

Thumbnail by Sherrygirl
Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I just found this thread--and I am drooling for your lily gardens! So beautiful--no question why lilies are the queen of the gardens!

I wish I could blow up your pics and make posters out of them!

I just planted about 30 lily bulbs today--hard work to dig down so deep--now I hope the rabbits and deer don't get them--so I really appreciate what you've done! Wonderful!

And that lily bulb is huge! Mine were only as big as a small orange from Van Engelen.

Happy gardening! t.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Certainly nothing wrong with "small orange" size. Most of mine are that size or smaller.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

Loosestrife. It isn't a noxious weed in Michigan?

ONLY THE PURPLE WILD KIND GROWING IN THE WET LANDS-THIS pink kind hasnt even multiplied really
Love all the lilies

Pasco, WA(Zone 6b)

Hi All,
Well, I ordered a bunch of lilies! The ones I went with are:
Bergamo
Tom Pouce
Kiss Me Kate
Chianti
Commander in Chief
Connecticut Memory
Coral Sunset
Marquee

Not a bad start to the lily family, huh??? LOL
But, a few days after I placed the order, I got an e-mail from them that the bulbs were 30% off. But it won't apply to orders already placed. Whaaaaaaaaaa! Oh well....

Can't wait to get them! Any advice before I get them and start planting? How far apart should I plant them? And how deep? Plus anyone that might have actual photos of some of the ones I ordered would be great to see! I have seen the 'Tom Pouce' lily here, but seeing the others growing would be helpful.
Thanks!
Sherry

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

That's a bummer about the sale.

Plant your lilies 2 -3 times their height. Around 6 inches works pretty well unless they're quite small or very large. Spacing...well, that varies with personal taste. Some people like a 'full' look right away so they plant closer. 8 - 12 inches ought to be fine.

You have a great start to your lily collection. And I say "start" because you're bound to want more. :) I think most of those lilies will be in the Plant Files ~ the only one on your list that I have is Kiss Me Kate.

This message was edited Nov 4, 2005 2:34 PM

Thumbnail by Moby

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.