Seed Saving for Stachys coccinea

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Does anyone on this site have any experience with saving seeds on Scarlet Hedgenettle? I have never saved any seeds at all before and I would like to try it. I am also going to try to save Scabiosa 'Butterfly Blue' (Pincushion Flowers) seeds if possible. Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Thanks,

Chuck

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/90393/
http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/

This message was edited Oct 25, 2005 12:08 PM

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Zarcanat,

Thanks a lot for the photo of the Scarlet Hedgenettle seed. I have been on that site before but I never noticed that photo. I guess it is because I had eye surgery almost eight years ago. The seedsaver's site was very, very informative. Thank you very much. I really appreciated your help and assistance.

Thanks again,

Chuck

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

You are welcomed!

If you succeed in saving seeds, I would like to trade with you.

This message was edited Nov 3, 2005 12:29 PM

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Zarcanat,

I was a little late to save seeds from those Scarlet Hedgenettles but now that heat has passed, the plant I have left still is blooming. I am hoping to save seeds from these blooms. I will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Chuck

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Thanks

Perris, CA(Zone 9a)

Dear Zarcanat,

I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner. The new flowers were stunted from blooming because of the weather. The existing flowers (that I told you about above) have not set yet. I will try to get you seeds this year if the weather allows. By the way, what kind of international laws does Canada have that covers shipping plant seeds from the U.S?

Thanks for your patience,

Chuck

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Actually, I did not really read all the regulation but avoiding invasive species is a must.
And it seems to be important to observe the seeds received for a certain amount of time (kind of quarantine) to make sure there is no pest problem with them before sowing them. Something happened to me in one of my previous trades; as I opened the bubble mailer received, I saw some weevils in the bag of seeds. I killed all the bugs and waited 2 weeks to be sure there was no more left to hatch.
To my knowledge, species that are listed are more of agricultural concern but I always try to avoid importation of ornamental invaders ;-) LOL!

Zarcanat

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.