Propagating citrus via cuttings

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

How easy is this? Do I need a rooting hormone or will sticking a branch in damp peat moss or perlite work? I know the usual method is budding or grafting but I have nothing to use as a rootstock.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Four Winds Dwarf Citrus Nursery is in Fremont. Call or email them. They would be able to give you the answer. All the citrus trees I owned when I lived in San Jose came from them.

http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Thanks, I'll try them.. Although I'm not sure whether they would want me propagating their trees this way :)

Conway, SC(Zone 8a)

If you "root" the shoots, they won't be any better off than the original and will take a long time to reach blooming size. (years). Grafting is much quicker, hardier, more compact, and earlier blooming. You should be able to find "Flying Dragon" (sour orange) root stock on your coast. Even if you can buy A Flying Dragon Orange tree and plant it in the yard, You can sprout your own root stock from the seeds.
Flying Dragon is hardy to around 0 degrees which is why its used a rootstock.

SB

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

In this case I'm not worried about the fruit because this tree is mainly grown for its leaves which are used in Thai cooking. (Citrus Hystrix)

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

When I bought my Kiffer Lime 6 years ago, it was very difficult to find. So when I saw the 8" tall plant, I bought it. It is a slow grower. Today it is still only 2 feet high and about 3 feet wide. Only now would I feel comfortable removing leaves from it.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

Interesting, mine has gone from around 2' to over 4' in about a year and a half.. I'd think it would grow faster on its own roots than on a dwarfing rootstock as well.

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I've been doing cuttings of the cold hardy orange, Poncirus trifoliata for a few years. I get the best results from #1 rooting hormone, more than 1/2 perlite mix in a flat and a plastic cover over the flat. They benefit from good heat, sun and bottom heat. They tend to callus over and take a bit to root. A little sand in the soil mix helps as it heats up. In our cool climate I must try and "cook" them.

Union City, CA(Zone 9b)

Anyone know if you can root a ponerosa lemon ? Rooting gel , powder or bubbler ?

Brunswick, GA

I have been hoping that something--anything!--would root in my bubbler. I planted ponderosa lemon seeds this spring and they are now about 3" tall. I am in no hurry to have 9 bearing lemon trees, but planting fruit seeds is just fun and interesting to do {:o). Good luck with your propagation efforts.

SF Bay Area, CA(Zone 9b)

I got some Flying Dragon seeds from a park nearby and am in the process of growing some rootstock.. Right now I have hundreds of tiny seedlings...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.