Blooms this time of year?

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

With the aftermath of Rita we have quite a few trees blooming here. The pear trees, crabapple, and tulip trees are all in bloom. What is up with this? Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? I wonder whether this is from Rita or if other areas are affected too. Now I'm worried that next spring we won't have any blooms. Jenny

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

I've had the same thing happen to some of my trees and shrubs. We were on the dry side of Rita and had a week of 105+ very dry weather. Rita might have contributed some, but this seems a yearly, some more than others, occurrance here in Texas. A & M's answer is that plants here experience a type of dormancy during the summer especially if it an extremely hot one. Plants will essentially shut down due to the heat, but unlike winter dormancy, they retain their leaves. This reduces the stress on the plant. As the days cool off, the plants are fooled into thinking it is spring and will bloom again. According to A & M, this will not hurt the plants. So enjoy!
Veronica

Woodville, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks, this relieves my mind a little. I could just see no blooms this spring and no fruit on the fruit trees! Jenny

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.