Alvocado Plant

Decatur, AL

I will start by explaining that I have been diagnosed with Early Alzheimer's. Right now the biggest problem for me is the fact that things that used to come easily for me now are just not 'there' for me. I remember that because I eat a lot of alvocados and because I also love plants, I used to take the seed that I remove from the center of the alvocado and somehow I would get it to grow nice plant. For the life of me I can't remember the very first thing about how to go about doing this. I just bought 4 alvocados and would like to try getting a plant from at least one of them. So far all I've managed to do is to waste one after another seed because I can't remember what to do. Can someone help me out with this ? BTW, I'm not online much as I haven't the energy to do so. I'm dealing with cancer, COPD etc etc etc. (G) So I hope I remember to check back for answers. Thank you for any help you can give me.

BlueBird

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

This is a good site that explains the process of sprouting an avocado seed. I hope it works for you.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1999/7-16-1999/sproutav.html

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

Bluebird prayers and blessings to. the chemo does that to your memory to.. has mine, but comes back little bit time.. hope you caqn be on line more there is lots support help here to.. prayers, blessings.

Twyla

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

welcome to Daves to... its also good therepy to get on visit... was, is for me..

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

What I do is simply wash the seed off in running water & poke 4 toothpicks into it around its middle. I then suspend the seed - pointy side up - (by the toothpicks) in a small glass of water so the bottom portion of the seed is underwater. I change the water every couple of days, & before long I have roots growing. Once there's a nice root system &/or once I start getting some top growth, I simply pot the seed up in potting soil.

The time it takes for roots to start forming seems to vary from seed to seed. Sometimes I see growth in just a few days; sometimes it takes a few weeks.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2005 10:32 AM

Crossville, TN

Well! I've been wanting to know how to do this..and I just this morning threw 2 over ripe ones into the garbage....so I am going in and fish them out right now. Cross your fingers that they grow for me.

BlueBird...I'm adding you to my Prayer list...and welcome to Dave's...this is a most magical place to be. Hugs, Jo

Vegas,NV Filbert, SC(Zone 7b)

Some one told me don't use the ones that you use a knife to remove by inserting the knife and twisting. It damages the seeds structure to much. I have had one that sprouted that way in water but after I got it into the ground it died. Not sure if that had anything to do with it.

Crossville, TN

Luckily mine was so over-ripe that I could just go in with my fingers and get the seed out..now...let's see if it grows... Jo

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

My personal not on doing this... even if you think "it's been sitting there so long not doing anything, I'm sure it's a dud..." just let it be! Mine took 2 months to grow any roots... then I potted it up and it was another month before the top started growing... So, patience is the name of the game, here.

I have three more on water now, and they've been there about a week and a half, with nothing... but I'm just letting them set. Also, changing the water from time to time is not a bad idea... I've had mold grow on a few when I didn't change the water.

Best of luck with the pits! lol :)

Sarah

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.