To all vegetable growers in zone 10

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I am new to this and trying to get a handle of what to plant when.... Florida gets so hot.
Can you give me some advice as to what you grow and when? (what summer crops,spring, etc)
since we really dont have winter so called what can i grow for a long period of time? can you give me your list of what you grow when?

Now I have a 4x10 raised bed with tomatoes, cucumbers, beans,peas,strawberry's,melon,peppers and onions. this is for my fall garden.
Can we grown all year around? what doesnt take to our very hot summers or what does? Any info is so GREATLY appreciated.
Michelle
should i have posted this in vegetable forum?

Miami, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Michelle,
I too grow vegetables in S.Florida. This time of the year is best to plant your crops since our mild winters allow for veggies to grow throughout March or May. After that the weather is so hot and humid the plants will basically stop blooming and wilt. I have found that smaller or heat-resistant tomatoes do better than those that grow so prolifically up north. Try the University of Florida IFAS website for info. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/index.html

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

You don't have to worry about missing the season. When Home Depot has veggie seedlings for sale you will know it is time to plant. As for seeds , you can start them indoors to be set out by Oct.15 or earlier depending on the heat. To hot gives sunscald. Now is perfect!!

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you everyone. I looked at the site link and it has a lot of info.
I guess i will have to research. How did you know Oct 15th.? That's the kind of info i needed. I hope Wilma doesnt take my new garden with her. :(

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

The commercial tomato farmers put in their tomatoes the third or fourth week of August. I have had mine in since the third week of August. If it's good enough for them, it's good enough for me.

I usually only plant grape tomatoes and they usually last through June. They stop making new tomatoes when the night temprature doesn't go below 65 degrees, usually the beginning of June.

Art

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

By Oct 15 the heat has cooled and I don't have to worry about sunscald.

Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

You are in the area where there are large tomato farms, as well as strawberries and mangos. You're also in the gladiolus capital of the world! Find the "true" tropical list, and go from there. Even here in Orlando, we can't grown coconuts...so take advantage of the very cool things you and you alone in your area can grow, while the rest of us just sit her jealous!
:)
MerryMary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.