No luck propagating Geranium 'Vancouver Centennial'

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

I was wondering whether anyone has had success rooting cuttings of the geranium (pelergonium) 'Vancouver Centennial' in particular. I've had success with others, including Martha Washington's, but for some reason not this particular one. Is there a trick I'm missing, or maybe it's just not the best way to propagate it?

Edited for more detail... I take cuttings about a month before frost, dip them in rooting hormone put them in a proper potting mix and they winter over in a sunny window.

This message was edited Oct 20, 2005 8:44 AM

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

You can mutliply your chances by taking only head cuttings and by not putting them to far in the rooting media (1cm, 1/4-1/2 inch) which should be moist, not wet. Underneat warming should hasten the rooting. You can use warming mat or cables, if you do not have some, if you have an old refrigerator that release some warmth put them on the top, or on the top of your CASCADE water warming device (sorry do not know the english name for it) as long as there is some light they should root.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

zarcanat, I've brought the whole plant in to overwinter so I'll try your tips this Feb when I take some cuttings. Thanks!

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

I overwintered mine last year , whacked it back and rooted tons of cuttings. I took the whacked off pieces, shortened them up, took off all but 3 leaves and plopped them in the soil - no rooting stuff. I put them in a plastic shoe box and put them under lights. I don't believe I lost a one of them. I found them very easy. The shoe box was rather deep so there was about 4 inches above the cutting. I didn't cover them at all. Probably just luck that I was so successful!! They sure are a pretty plant!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Thanks, sarv48, that's encouraging that it was that easy. Think I'll forget about the rooting hormone and give them more warmth and lots more light.

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Spring is a better time for rooting, in Fall... they fall asleep ;-))

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Will do. Thanks again.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.