Pear Tree Problem

(Zone 1)

Hello, I was just cleaning up my pear tree today and noticed on a few of the leaves this scab like fungus I havent seen before. If anyone has any Idea what it is and how to treat it, it would be greatly appreciated. I can't say much about it except its new this year and the tree is over 20 years old. The leaves are starting to fall off now so I will be cleaning them away from the base so whatever it is doesnt overwinter. There isnt much I can say about it that the photo doesnt illustrate. It always forms on the bottom of the leaf leaving that bright red spot on the top. It seems to be something that is "blooming" for lack of a better word. I am not sure you can tell but the bumps have little heads on them that look like a bloom. Hopefully someone has an idea of what it is. The picture is of the same leaf top and bottom. Thanks

Mike

Thumbnail by westocast73
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Mike I have no idea. It looks like a rust and there is a Pacific Coast Rust which affects pear. Apparently it is not a major problem, as I could find no information other than its existence.

(Zone 1)

Thanks for the help. Do you know if there is a better Forum for me to post this kind of question?
Thanks
Mike

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I don't know of any. Ag research Universities on the west coast would be your best source of infomation since there are major fruit growers in the Pacific Northwest. Fireblight is our major problem in the east. A few other diseases that affect the fruit, but pears are pretty pest and fungus free here.

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

In the midwest pears are susceptible to fireblight too. The red color on the leaf doesn't remind me of any thing Iv'e noticed on my pear trees. That red color should be an identifying characteristic to a fungus, disease, or insect I would think. Try some local fruit growers or maybe an extension office at a nearby university.

cuckoo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.