to plant or not to plant that is the question

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

5{ouple of weigelia cuttings in a small pot . they have nice roots and look very alive but I am not sure what to do now . Winter is coming ( zone 6) and I don't know wether to leave them in the pot or pop them in the ground , any advise?
laura

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

I'd think you should leave them in the pot inside til Spring. To plant outside now would be to risk the frost killing them from the roots as they will not have time to get settled in first? Not an expert, and know nothing of this plant but I know for most things newly rooted and all they are tender. Transplanting them puts them to a bit of shock as it is without the sudden temperature change to boot! Bonnie

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Assuming your pot is outside now, why not split the difference and simply plunge the whole pot into some fairly sheltered spot in a bed outside? As long as the pot had good drainage holes, that should work fine. Then in spring when new growth starts to appear, you can separate and plant up your cuttings... maybe pot up a couple of them individually for a bit as insurance so they get really nice rootballs before setting them out.

Brilliant idea, critterologist!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

*blush*

I'm going to do the same with a number of plants that I simply didn't get around to planting this summer. Some were too small to set out in spring, so I babied them in pots on the deck, but then I ran out of time to plant them in September, so they'll be staying in their pots!

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

yeah, that sounds like a good idea I'm not really sure where I want it to live anyway.
Thanks Critterologist
laurawege
I am not looking forward to this ( I guess I kinda am, I do love the change of seasons but talk to me again in february)

Thumbnail by laurawege
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

ROTFL!!! What a fabulous photo!

I know what you mean... I enjoy the change of seasons too, but summer always seems too short, and when we start getting lots of cold, wet, grey days, well, I survive by getting out my gardening catalogs and planning for spring!

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

I made these snow people on the spot where my gardening friends and I end up many a night after a hard day in the garden for a glass of wine . I Live for those gardening catalogs ! they keep you hopefull
laurawege

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hey, Laura, where is Wayland? Are you anywhere near me in Frederick? (my fingers are crossed!)

Too funny!!!

Wayland, MA(Zone 6a)

wayland is about 20 miles out side of Boston if you are ever in my neck of the woods give a holler and we will save you a seat under the trees
laurawege

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

OH geez. Somehow, I was reading that as "Wayland, MD" and getting all excited... How we do manage to see just what we want to see!

Actually, my BIL lives in Arlington, so if we head up there I will give you a holler... and bring you some garden goodies! :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.