Unknown Dahlia #1

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

This dahlia was supposed to be 'Alfred Grille' but obviously is not. It looks very much like 'Park Princess' but is taller, about 3 ½'. The petals are a pure deep pink with no blue or yellow. The pink is deeper than the picture shows. The apparent yellow is not on the pink petal itself. Instead, at the base of each petal is a tiny, yellowish almost transparent petal/sepal thingie. (How do you like my official terminology?) The flowers looks like a cactus type. The petals are tubular/rolled with an opening at the very end. Does anybody have any idea what it might be?

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have one like this but I will have to go out to my patch and check the name. I have Park Princess too and you are right it is very short. I wish I could pull the other name out of my head. I will check and get back to you. Joann

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Another view.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Joann, that would be great if you know what it is.

Here is a closer look.

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, it doesn't look like 'Park Princess'. The petals look different.
Tho my 'Park Princess' can vary in height. Some are short and some are like up to 3' tall.
Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

If you don't quit posting pictures of that gorgeous creature I'm going to ask for a tuber of it! It's really pretty and looks so familiar-- alas no name comes to mind.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

If it makes tubers you are welcome to one! I saw your gorgeous aerial view and noticed some lawn in the picture so you obviously have space for more dahlias. LOL Just let me know.

Aptos, CA

My guess would be "Tui Avis".

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I think you may have nailed it, sudhira. Thanks. =^}

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I was out in my patch today which is looking rougher everyday but still can find some beautiful bloom inspite of all the mildew and falling over. I took a look at the pink cactus I have and it was labeled Miss Rose Fletcher. Your photo doesn't really look like it exactly. Yours are such a vivid pink. Gorgeous indeed.

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Here is a link to Miss Rose Fletcher. Mine look brighter than this photo but not nearly as vivid as yours.
http://www.dahlias.com/product_info.php?products_id=199&osCsid=4016f20cf325a475724b4d13ee1e6065

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

You know I was checking out Miss Rose Fletcher too because it really does look like mine. I finally concluded MRF is a softer pink. The one I have is really deep pink. Also the flower size on MRF is 6" and mine is 3 - 4". Thanks for checking.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I was going through my dahlia file and discovered an invoice from last year that had a free tuber added to the order. Last year the weather was so dismal (endless rain) that a lot of my tubers rotted and most didn't bloom. The freebie was 'Murray Petite' and it looks very much like this unknown one, especially because it has those odd tiny yellow petal/sepal/thingies (I think that is the correct technical term LOL) between the pink petals. The description (flower type, size, plant height) all sound correct. Has anyone grown 'Murray Petite'? Do you think this could be him?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

LOLPIMP NoH2O, if that is Murray Petite it's not a him, it's a her. Madame M. Petite. Quite beautiful. Monsieur Murray would be of the Petit family!!!!

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Is Murray a woman's name???? I have only heard of men being named Murray. Now that I think about it, this dahlia is awfully pink to be named after a guy. LOL

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

No, I didn't mean Murray was a woman's name, only that the modifier petite indicates that what comes before is feminine. Petit would be for a boy dahlia, but if it's petite it has to be a girl. So the full name would be Miss Dahlia M. Petite, quite logical, once you realize that all dahlias have the same first name, Dahlia. [We are feeling VERY silly today!]

xxx, Carrie

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

I have a similar no name pink cactus. Yours looks a little more semi than this I think.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Al, check out photos of Kari Dancer compared to your pink. It's on a 3 ft plant. It's always a guessing game to get a name for those mystery dahlias, but yours reminds me of K Dancer.

I hope this isn't a gigantic photo, sorry if it is....

Thumbnail by Poochella
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Or maybe not... On second glance; your petals are spikier. Still pretty though!

Appleton, WI(Zone 5a)

Pooch,
I think we all have our version of that dahlia. I don't have names for a lot of my flowers because the named ones aren't always accurate and the "grab bag" ones aren't named, but I don't care and the flowers don't care. Here's another unnamed one - about the only one I had earwigs on this year too.

Thumbnail by bigcityal
Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

that's right Al, the flowers don't care and what IS in a name afterall?
That's another beauty you posted, earwigs or not. Very delicate color.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, Annie, I like that 'Kari Dancer'. It is a very pretty pink one. MIght have to add it to my list from you, lol.
Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol- done! I can't recall how many tubers I had from two plants of Kari Dancer.
Am working on a list of all dahlias, think I ended up with 124 separate varieties, multiples of several. A gardener's work is never done....

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie, Wow, you are going to town with that many varieties!
But you are right. Gardener's work is never done. I have been working in the very cold and even the rain lately. But have so much to do still.

Have a question for you. What type of knife, scissors, or whatever do you use to divide the tubers???
I am kind of frustrated this year with the tubers. Have too many to do so that is why I may just send the whole clump and let the other person have fun dividing them.
Along with just storing the whole clumps too.
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Carol, a member of the Central Ohio Dahlia Club told me he has so many tubers that he digs them and stores the clumps and then through the winter he divides them as he has time. (You know all those leisure hours you have in winter where you sit around twiddling your thumbs thinking "Hmmm, what can I do? I am so bored and I am caught up on everything else..... " LOL)

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Candy, You are so right! I can spend the winter in the cold garage dividing up tubers, lol! But I do have a space heater that I could use.
Being caught up with everything? Never, not me!
But it is true that you can store clumps. I just don't have the space but am going to either send them out or try storing them. Just need to get more sawdust now along with cardboard boxes!!!
Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Carol I've been there with the space heater in the garage. Even though I started 'early' in October it was still cold and wet and pretty miserable. There just isn't an easy way to do this tuber dividing unless I'd build a climate-controlled storage building equipped with quadrophonic surround sound stereo, snack bar, espresso stand and of course a bathroom! But no, I just freeze and try to thaw my hands out periodically in front of the heater : (

I used 4 things this year: pvc pipe cutters for thick stalks, floral shears to trim roots and teeny tuber necks quickly, regular pruning shears to get the fat roots or fatter broken tubers out of my way, and the most used thing is a thin bladed "fruit secateur" shears that can stab into the head of the tuber/collar area easily and is sharp enough to make the delicate cuts when getting the tuber off the clump, finish trimming them up etc. I found that dividing after only a day or two of cutting down was much easier generally. The clumps seemed moister and easier to deal with, like fresh snappy carrots instead of an older rubbery one, if that makes sense. I think I could still see eyes pretty easily ( hope i"m not in for a rude surprise in April)

Far and away the handiest tool for me is that fruit secateur shears. It really helps to keep them sharpened too.

As for all the free time in winter because everything else in the world has been done, I think perhaps this may be the year I empty the old kitchen drawer that's been hiding under the desk in our bedroom for going on FIVE years since the kitchen remodel LOLOLOL! How's that for being behind and slothful?

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Only 5 years worth! Well, you could have gone for the whole time you have lived in that house then, lol!!!
What is the heck is a fruit secataur scissors???
I did buy a pair of floral scissors yesterday on sale, Fiskars. So got that part done. Have pruning shears plus instead of the pipe cutters I am using the lopers which works great. Very sharp so far.
Well, guess I need my glasses to see those dang eyes. I may just sit in the garage tonight with that heater going and just cut away. Do what I think I can see and leave some of the stem with each tubers and should be ok then.
I understand what you mean about the carrot being rubber type. I just haven't had the time to do it right after digging tho. Too many other obligations with family.
So thanks for your information. It helps a lot.
Carol

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

The fruit secateur is a thin bladed pruning shears- kind of half stout scissors/half pruners that is used to harvest fruit, I guess. ( I prefer fingers for that job LOL!) It's used to harvest tubers here- makes great thin stabs into the tough collar/stem material, gets into tight areas easily and stays sharp a good while.
I found it in the regular pruning shear/cutting tool display at the farm and garden store. Here's an example of it, click to enlarge.
http://www.indmowing.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=23_25&products_id=38&osCsid=3505eed4c4675385e86ecb1e75eda9ec

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie, cool, thanks for the link. That tool looks very handy. Will have to look around for one of those then. Ten bucks in 2004 isn't a bad price either.
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I just finished cutting what I am going to dig this year what a mess they havent been dug for three years. I use long handle lopers on the stems before I dig. Hand pruners for the smaller stems and to cut broken tubers off with. A seratted paring knife and a wood gouge from a wood lathe and sometimes a big knife and a 2x4 with a handle cut on one end for a hammer for the big knife to cut big clumps apart so I can get at the viable bulbs. Whatever works is my motto.

I hope we have a hard freeze so the ones I left in the ground die so I have an excuse to start over I have way to many I just dont like. I like water lillys and bigger ones . Ernie

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yep, Ernie, whatever works! lol

I am still digging. I hope to be done tomorrow tho. The weather has been nice to dig this weekend, tho it was quite cold the past 2 mornings but no wind so I survived.

Just dig up the ones you don't like or want. Either give away, trade, or just compost them. Then get some new ones that you do like then.
I have some big dinnerplate (yellow) ones if you want some.

My favorite dahila is the waterlily type tho. I love them!!! Right now, my favorite waterlily is 'Fire Magic'.
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I have had a pair of those fruit secateurs for years and I didn't know what they were. I never use them because they just aren't very handy - I have so many other snips and pruners that do a better job. I think I may have thrown them away last month when I was cleaning out the shed. =^{

Did I read somewhere that someone uses a screwdriver and a mallet on really woody stems? Or did I just make that up? LOL

Hi Ernie - it's good to see you on the dahlia forum. If you want to get some new dahlias, this is the place! I don't have any dinnerplates yet - I am getting some in trades next spring. You can check out my list to see what I will have available IF everything makes it through the winter. (Keeping my fingers crossed about that but it makes it hard to type.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Oh, Candy, that is too bad that you threw them out. I am heading to the store today to try to find some so I can try to divide these dang tubers.
I also have a big yellow dinnerplate too along with the other ones you wanted. Do you want that one too then?
Carol

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

I am getting one from my DXH. It is huge, bigger than the 'Spartacus' in the same bed. It was the first to bloom and was still blooming a week or so ago. I forget the name of it. I will have to ask him.

Thank you for the offer though.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Here's a picture of DXH and dahlia

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

And DXH missing me after I went home to Ohio (isn't that sweet?) LOL

Thumbnail by NoH2O
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Yes, that sure is sweet!
Ok, mine is more like 'Playboy' or 'Kelvin Floodlight' but a mix of the petals of both of these. Yours looks more like a catus type.

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Candy I lurk here a lot tell Doug If he needs more come dig lol he can take pot luck to bad I fell in love with tomatoes and lost the names to most. I hope I got the dark blood red marked right for you. I have the most georgeous peppers in my gh right now moved them in from the tubs outside the door. had a great yellow but it died out Edna C.Bet no D's growing now lol

Carol I am going to fix my mess and never leave them in the ground for three years again I see a corralation between years grown to hard to cut lol . Ernie

Everson, WA(Zone 8a)

Ernie, I think Doug has put the yard to bed for the winter whether it is ready or not. LOL How long will those peppers be good in your GH?

I feel puppy deficient. I think you need to post more pictures of those cuties (and Gabby too).

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.