Can we have a 'GIVE A PLANT DAY'????

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Couldn't we have a day, maybe June 1st orJuly 1st when all plants are out of the ground, and just give a plant to someone, another DG person who either delights and amuses us, or has been good to us, or whatever reason we want? It would be such fun to see who gets what plant. Am I alone here or does anyone agree?

There would be no obligation to give a plant in return, none at all. Kind of like a "Thanks for being you" gift.

Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

That sounds like a clever idea, pirl.
Kind of like Mother's, Dad's, etc Day.
I like it.
Carol

Thanks for the positive reinforcement, Carol.

Sounds like a fun idea!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

It's a great idea, Pirl, that shows your generous spirit. Do you think it possible there may be hurt feelings if a person didn't receive a plant on that official day, though? I'm probably over analyzing again because it's a nice idea and most of us know what a great feeling it is to give and share with someone. Go girl.

Yes, that was my concern. Maybe, if we gave to someone who was especially generous to us then there would be fewer hard feelings?
Tell me how you'd feel: I'm always worrying about hurt feelings.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Well, I don't think it would be a question of hard feelings at all....more like a feeling of being left out, or private thoughts of "I guess I'm not amusing enough or delightful enough". Some people are shy, some people are not able to express themselves by writing....and there's also the possibility of harming the international spirit here at Dave's Garden. Hmmmm, I guess I sound like a wet blanket; don't mean to. What does everyone else think?

Take Wanda, of iris fame, for example. She's so generous and spends so much time digging, cleaning, etc. plus all of her gas and time that it would be nice to recognize her kindness.

Some people deserve something special (and I have sent many boxes of plants and not asked for postage and if they sent it anyhow I ripped up the checks) even for their spirit or helping hands. I just hate to see such goodness not encouraged.

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

I think it's great to encourage such good thoughts and actions, but I've also always thought that the best gift is the unexpected one.

When you can't quarantee everyone's inclusion, it's next to impossible to not hurt someone. Just follow your good heart and do what it tells you to do on an individual basis.

Well, Jolene, looks like you're right so HAPPY SWEETEST DAY TO ALL OUR GOOD FRIENDS AND GOOD TRADERS!

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I would be in - I have two members on here that have to be the best humans ot walk the earth in a long time - both give so much it would be nice to give back a little to them!

Looks like the group of interested people isn't growing as much as I wished it would have.

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

Pirl, I think it is a wonderful idea. However, I do agree that those who do not receive a plant will feel left out and/or hurt. Maybe a secret pal type special plant givers day with those who want to participate e-mailing you for coordination. Just a thought.

My initial thought was just to reward the very generous/very nice/very helpful people. Now I have more thinking to do. I never wanted anyone to have hurt feelings and I'm seeing, more and more, that some folks could be left out despite my good intentions.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I like the idea and think it should be a special plant..you know...not just an invasive thing that you are trying to give away. something that you cherish and have enough of to share.

That would be the nicest part of it. Just through chatting you get a feel for what the person would love to have but wouldn't dare mention and it would be so nice to receive it that way. Still, I have the question about hurt feelings to reconcile.

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Pirl,
I think what you are trying to do is a wonderful thing but I also think it has the possibility of turning into something you never would have intended or expected. Also, I believe there is a lot this going around "unofficially" and have seen posts where a recipient has been surprised with an unexpected, out of the blue gift, with no strings attached. Certainly brings a smile to MY face when I see one of these posts. Maybe Dave could open a forum called "Generosity" or something more creative so that when this unexpected gift of a plant happens, a person could start a thread there to let everyone know of the generous spirit of another DG member.

Just an idea.
Terrie

Kernersville, NC(Zone 7a)

Well, this is my opinion...
People don't hurt our feelings, we let our feelings get hurt. Maybe we should be a little less sensitive about these things. I lean toward the neurotic side, so I am certainly not judging anyone else. I think that feelings would be hurt much worse in an organized exchange. In that scenario, if someone didn't send a plant it would be a personal blow because they had my name and chose not to send me something for whatever reason.

I actually like this idea, and I would participate. Another idea is maybe not have a special day, but a travelling notepad where folks sign their name and send it on with a plant or seeds or what have you to someone else. "You have been visited by the DG Plant Fairy" or something. I don't know, I am brainstorming here. Or a special thread in one of the forums where people sign in and say what they got, that way we wouldn't have to worry about a notepad getting lost out there somewhere. Maybe we could have a graphic to print out to go with the gifts that refers them back to the thread to post their goodies. Or just a little card to print out and anyone can use it at any time. Eventually it would spread all over DG and it wouldn't have to go one person at a time that way. Still brainstorming...should have devised a clear thought before I touched the keyboard...

Spreading smiles around is a great idea, I hope we can come up with something fun.

Rachel

Kernersville, NC(Zone 7a)

I think we could use that Mail Call forum for this. I have never been over there, but I think this would fall under that category.
I am going to make up a little card and send something out tomorrow. What fun! Thanks Pirl:)

Rachel

Some of my favorite people have birthdays in winter, in cold areas, so I didn't want to use the birthday as the reason to give: just a special gift for a special person or more than one, for a special favor or because they helped you out with a thought, a plan, a use for something you had or because of their generosity in either spirit or plants or trades, or because you'd feel sad if they left DG.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I don't know why on earth anyone would get their feelings hurt. I think this is a wonerful gesture and if it continued for a while then everyone would eventually be a recipient. I for one would be more than glad to send a plant and not expect anything in return. I have way too many plants anyway. I think having it in the spring when you are dividing anyway would be good..or the end of summer when you are doing the same.

My thought was in springtime, when all the plants have emerged but to send it in time so the recipient can see it bloom in their own garden. Having to wait another year it akin to torture! (for me).

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

yes good idea and the plants would have a better chance of surviving.

Because of the various zones involved what date would we all agree on:

May 15
June 1
June 15
June 30

???????????????????????

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Early for the South - our heat is bad by the middle of June, guessing that maybe a few plants might be sent down South.

Mitch: help me out and just pick one of the days I listed. I need the input of people to decide on a date. :-)

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

May 15 (or earlier)

Myrtle Beach, SC

I think it is a great idea. My problem is I would want to share something with everyone :))
Great plan Pirl....lets do it !!
May is good for me also.
Margo

Without agreeable people this would have gone nowhere so thanks, Margo, and all the others who see no reason not to do this.

My feelings about other people's feelings is now a thing of the past but it's absolutely NOT because I wish anything negative on anyone. My DH and I were talking about it at dinner and then the bright light came on: it's not a trade, it doesn't have to be public and would be better NOT being public. We can dmail the donor if we get a package and if we don't receive anything it doesn't mean we're less than wonderful.

I'm going to mark my calender and May 15th to June 1st I'll either renew this thread or make a new post. If you'd like to share we can think about that later on for a thread, with or without the donor's name.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

May 15th sounds great around here!

Good time for up here, as well.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

OKAY...SO DO WE SEND JUST TO SOMEONE ON DG OR WHAT? HOW EXACTLY IS THIS GOING TO WORK? JUST MAIL A PLANT TO SOMEONE ANONYMOUSLY OR SIGN IT....FOR INSTANCE I WOULD SEND A PLANT TO PIRL AND THEN PIRL WOULD SEND A PLANT TO SOMEONE ELSE? WOULD WE ONLY SEND ONE PLANT? DO I SOUND LIKE I HAVEN'T "GOTTEN" IT? nancy

Nancy (my favorite name),

You would decide which was your best trade, your most generous trader, maybe someone whose help was an aid to you, someone you enjoy on DG, anyone who you know would love a plant that you have but has nothing to trade (although that wasn't part of my original thought but it is a generous thought), and send a plant. There's no obligation and YES you would enclose a note and explain why you're doing it - and that you won't accept postage: it is a "gift".

Maybe you'll get ten packages and Mitch will only get one and I'll get none: that's fine. It's just a "thanks so much" in the form of a plant.

There is no obligation for you or anyone to send anything to anyone.
It was just a thought on my part. I opened one package and wanted to cry at her generosity, then it happened again: I feel they deserve special recognition - that's it.

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

And they do - the good people out there deserve a big pat on the back for helping the rest of us. And what a better way to do it - In May when everything is just starting, it might be the extra touch some people need just to keep being the great person on here they are.

Thats my two cents - Mitch

Thanks Mitch!

Georgetown, KY(Zone 6a)

Count me in, that is if you would please remind us. I really can forget things so easily anymore. I can think of several people who have been generous not only with me, but with so many others--they deserve a little something... just because.
I feel if someone doesn't get anything, it just means that they haven't participated as much as the others. I know I don't, and consequently I wouldn't want or expect anything. Those who know they too haven't gone out of their way, shouldn't be upset. If it's that important to them, then maybe they should make an extra effort to be there for the other dg members. Of course there is no guarantee that they would receive anything, but there aren't guarantees about anything in life. Who knows, it may just light a fire under some of us to be more charitable and helpful. I don't think it could hurt. Well, that's my two cents worth.
Jackie from KY [edited...didn't mean to be rude by not signing--sorry]

This message was edited Oct 17, 2005 10:28 PM

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I just found this thread...pirl, it sounds like a lovely idea. Thank you for thinking of it.

Even though I'm not a DG plant trader and am not a part of that 'circle' (yet), I would like to send some special plants out to acknowledge DG contributions and friendship ... (even if they don't know me!) There are so many on DG that I would like to acknowledge for sharing interesting posts.

Anytime in the spring is fine with me...but maybe given the zone spread, designating a full month as the "special DG person gift month" might work out....

Whatever you decide, please remind us in the spring in plenty of time! t.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I also have never traded and don't know how to really but would like to be part of this.

Thanks TuddyE and tabasco for your support. Levilyla - yes you have contributed. Dbibb sent me a package and I believe some of your plants were in the package. Don't you remember that?

I'm determined now to proceed with the whole idea. I'll post it and people can write to the thread and say how happy they are and what they received without mentioning anyone by name.

My other thoughts were that you wouldn't necessarily have to send a plant. Pretty flowery napkins, a book, a notepad, a beautiful photo of a plant the trader sent you, a little gnome, a pretty rock with the name of a plant you sent them, a cutting, a pretty little pot, a banner, a flag, a gift certificate, a certificate good for two hours of work, an invitation to coffee/tea/cocktails, an offer to babysit while they shop for plants, a roll of USPS approved tape for packages, bubble envelopes, stamps - all could be used in lieu of plants.

Post any other ideas you have for gifts - please.

Arlene/pirl/pirlgirl

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

I love the idea. Add me to your list. Probably need to have a form or something for the person to fill-out with the following information.

Name, address, city, state, zip, country
email (so the coordinator can contact who and where to send their surprise plant)
Zone

when they submit the form, the person coordinating this effort should get an email of their application form.

We'll need a deadline for entry, so the coordinator can plan before March 15th. On March 15th week, people should be sending the plants, and notify the coordinator it has been sent.

Just my 2 cents....

Linda :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.