Goodbye to Rusty

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

I have just burried my little dog Rusty. I took her to the vets yesterday as she had been sick last week and then hardly eaten anything since. They phoned me last night to say that she had acute liver failure and they could do this that the the other but didn't think it would work, so I had to make the terrible decision and have her put to sleep.

I feel so awful. She was 11 years old but still very lively, chasing squirrels and rabbits (and our cat)

I burried her in a clearing at the front of the shrubbery and have planted a small Abelia on the grave as it is in flower now and has pretty little sweetly scented pink flowers and small,slightly golden leaves. I have some small daffodils and crocus which I am going to plant at the front.

I can't believe she has gone. Here is a picture of her on holiday three weeks ago.

Thumbnail by Patbarr
Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Oh Pat, so sorry to hear of your loss
She looks a wonderful companion to have had for so many years!
The abelia sounds a very fitting choice. It will be lovely to have her special place in your garden.
Hugs
Hilary

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'm really sorry Pat, it really is like losing one of the family, when you loose a much loved pet.
It makes it even worse when you have to make that decision too..but it's the right one, you can't let them suffer.

We have so many pets animals buried in our garden now. A couple of cats, numerous hamsters, even down to pond fish and cat caught victims.they're all marked with some sort of plant, tree stone etc.My daughter gives them all a burial service.

I'm so sorry to read this Pat and she looks like a lovely little dog too.

It seems so unfair that they have such a short life compared to us but the love and joy they give us makes up for it a little.

Thanks for your messages. I've never missed a pet so much. She has been a real friend and a lovely little dog. Always wanting to please, always an enthusiastic greeting. We've never missed a walk, although she was slowing down a bit, with exceptions for chasing furry creatures. The house and garden seem very empty without her.

We've always had lots of pets too, you just reminded me of all the little graves all over the garden. Don't know what anyone taking over this garden would think. Some of the bones will be quite large as Dad used to have boxer dogs, and they all ended up with a place in the garden.

I've been trying to take my mind of things and keep busy, so I've been processing my grapes. The first time they have had fruit this year and got 30 lb off each vine. I've only got 4 gallons of juice from 60 lb of grapes, but I suppose that will make about 20 bottles of wine so it isn't bad.

I've just framed the picture of Rusty, so I can see her happy little face and remember her like that.

This message was edited Oct 12, 2005 12:57 PM

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I know it sounds morbid, but I have my parents buried in my garden too, or rather their ashes.

After both my Mum and Dad died, we couldn't decide what to do with their ashes, so we scattered some in the sea on carnival day (always a big day in our family calender) and the rest were buried in the garden, each under an appropriately named rose. We had a family ceremony for this too, raising a glass to them...
Mind you , Dad got the last laugh, as i was pouring his ashes in the hole dug, the rose that I'd planted for him attacked me!!...got tangled in my hair, and I had to be disentangled!!...everyone thought that hysterical.....would have appealed to my parents sense of humour.
I can now chat to my parents as i pass by in the garden.

I sprinkled Dad's ashes in appropriate places round the garden that he liked and feel that he is close by. I sometimes get a whiff of pipe smoke too as I'm walking round, but that is probably my imagination.

I also planted a silver birch tree in memory of Mum. It is a Scandanavian kind with pale pink bark that seems to light up at certain times of the day as the light catches it.

We aren't being morbid at all, and the garden is a beautiful place, full of life, and made a little more special with our memories.

The pipe smoke smell could be an olfactory memory.

I don't think having ashes in the garden is morbid. Not to be flippant here but I do wonder if in 2000 years time when the archeologists dig up our 'settlements' what they will make of the amount of pet burials in the back gardens. If the records of our cultures have disappeared, no doubt they will put it all down to some odd ritual, just like they do today :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.