Flowering Maple (Abutilon) seeds

Eureka, CA

Hi all! Today was a perfect day for seed harvesting.... I had great fun. I hadn't felt well all weekend until early afternoon today, so it was a good finish to a bad weekend!

Does anyone know if Abutilon seeds will come true? I was so excited to find a pod with about 2 dozen seeds. I'm going to give them a try! Here's my fall blooming.....

Sanna

Thumbnail by sannajane
Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Actually, almost all abutilons on the trade are named ones, usually it means that somebody did an hybridization to get a new specimen; in that case, seedlings won't come true to type. You might have though, some nice surprises.

Good luck!
Zarcanat

Eureka, CA

Thanks! I will, of course, give it a try! :o)

Sanna

Southern, United States

I have one of these and didn't ever see any seeds. Where where did you find them and what do they look like? Thanks for any info!

Rotterdam, NY(Zone 5b)

Sannajane...that's a very beautiful colored Abutilon! Hummers love abutilon...or at least they love mine. Do you remember the name of the abutilon you have pictured?

Calvert County, MD(Zone 7a)

That looks like something out of the 'Bella' series... I have Bella's pink yellow and peach, but none will produce seeds indoors.

-Zem

Eureka, CA

Could be.... I have had it for many years - and sometimes struggle with it: rust, legginess, and bugs. This year it was helped a bit (I believe, anyway) by some alfalfa tea I used on a lot of my plants. It seemed much happier after the tea. And ya know, darn it anyhow, I will probaby try the seeds to see what happens, just for the heck of it!

And princessyfs, I will try to get a picture posted of the seeds - the pod is gone, unless I find another one. Keep watch this weekend, if you'd like!

Sanna

New York & Terrell, TX(Zone 8b)

See cultivars, seeds & pods here:

Abutilon × hybridum Gallery: http://www.malvaceae.info/Genera/Abutilon/galleryH.html

HTGH

~* Robin

Eureka, CA

Why thank you!! Aren't they beautiful! My flowers look that nice, but the plant itself doesn't look as good as those. Although I keep it outside all year long, and it's in a container.....

Thanks Robin, for the link!

Sanna

You're welcome Sanna.

~* Robin

Mesilla Park, NM

Sanna,
I know this post is old, but, can you tell me what the seeds look like.

I have a red looking hibiscus tree that was called Abitulon. The seeds are very few and the tree grew about 10ft tall. Only some of the flowers get pollinated and the hummers love it. The seeds look like tiny kidney shaped seed (black).

I'd be interested in trading you for some of your pink. This is the one I have and it is in a raised bed taller than the porch roof.

Here is a pic of it last year when trying to ID it.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/495259/

hope the link works.

TTYL.

Antoinette

Antoinette,

This is mine: Abutilon, Flowering Maple 'Bella Vanilla' http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/101968/index.html

~* Robin

This is a hand pollinated pod maturing as of lately:

Thumbnail by NatureWalker
Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Hi Gourd, you abutilon or hibiscus is so WOW that I want some! Please have a look to my trade list or let me know what you would like in return and I will try to find some seeds for you.

Eureka, CA

Wow.... your timing is NEARLY incredible.... I just last Sunday planted all the seeds I harvested! So I can't show you what they look like. Check out the link above on the November 27 post = there are seeds pictured there, as well as the pods. Sounds like what you have.

I know my seeds may not come true, but I just had to try them. I have a six-pack started with three seeds in each cell. Wish me luck!! If I get a plant going, I'll let you know!

Sanna

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Sanna, I hope you will post the result later, hope it won't take too long to flower!

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Robin,

Could you tell me how you hand pollinated your abulition please. I have a lovely yellow Bella, but have not had any seeds yet. I have plenty of hummers, year round, but not one seed head has appeared. :-(
Thanks,
Donna

Mesilla Park, NM

Zarcanat,
I have a few seeds left, send me your addy. I'm sure it will produce more pods this coming year, the tree/bush has not stopped blooming at anytime this year. The hummers and bee's are always around.

A.

Ok Donna,

I have these paint brushes that I bought from ACMoore for my craft needs.

I took one that is a white nylon (so I could see the pollen color on the edges) #2 - a flat, short, straight across one like the one below.

I then used it to wipe the pollen off of the long anthers (which stick out the longest), and wiped it all over those cute little pom-pom like things that go down into the ovary.

I did wait for the flower to be 4 days old before I did this to make sure all necessary parts were fully developed, and mature.

~* Robin

Huntington Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

Thanks a lot Robin. I will go out tomorrow and take a look at what blooms I have and do some mother naturing myself. lol I do have a brush like yours. :-)

Donna

Eureka, CA

I got my first seedling today!!!! From the pod I collected in the fall..... will keep you posted!

Sanna

Montreal, QC(Zone 4b)

Hi Gourd, you've got mail!

Mesilla Park, NM

NatureWalker,

Those are beauties.. It turned out mine is not a Hisbiscus or Abitulon, it is this: malvaceae phymosia umbellata

what a mouth full.. but it is still pretty.. it does get really tall.

I will mail out your seeds this Monday..zarcanat.. I usually send out seeds once a week and try to do it on Mondays. Well, back to my packaging seeds..

A.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.