Jujube Tree

Sherwood, OR(Zone 8a)

Was at the Farmers Market last Sunday afternoon and came across a wonderful fruit...The lady called it Jujube...I have sence then found out that it is also called Asian date...Was hoping to lear more about it and if anyone might know a source to get a tree...Thanks..Oh I added a picture of the fruit...I like the not ripe ones best ...taste like an apple with walnut and then the ripe is rather sweet ..

Thumbnail by vegemm
Bradenton, FL(Zone 9b)

Ty Ty in Georgia have both seedlings and grafted plants for sale. Their web site is tytyga.com .... Hope this helps

Dale

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

DONT BUY FROM TYTY!!!!!!!

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

Wasn't there a report on Garden Watchdog about this firm? Don't see it now.

Wayne

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

it was removed due to reasons it is now up to us to save people from TYTY

Here is a link on where you can get seeds, there are also seeds on EBay right now for sale to -

http://davesgarden.com/ps/go/50048/

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

The name makes me remember my favorite candy for the movies as a kid... JuJuBes

Quoting:
Jujubes were first produced some time before 1920. The jujube is an edible berry that grows in the tropics. But the name of the berry has nothing to do with the make-up of the candy, which is more likely related to one of the basic ingredients of both Jujubes and Jujyfruits, ju-ju gum.
http://www.oldtimecandy.com/jujubes.htm

edited for typo

This message was edited Oct 6, 2005 9:14 PM

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Here is the basic reason why I would bet Dae found it nessasary to take off TYTY - http://davesgarden.com/about/takedown.php

Remember Dave does what is best for us and the site - we just have to keep the message out Dont use TyTy.

Sherwood, OR(Zone 8a)

Thank you all for your input and help...Same here on the name ...Thought of Saturday afternoon at the movies...LOL....I will being looking into all the sources you have posted...I also found out that another name ofr them are Chinese Dates...

Roanoke, VA(Zone 7a)

Hello! I've gotten jujubes from Hidden Springs Nursery and Edible Landscaping. Hidden Springs had the most affordable (if smaller, but they grow quickly). I've also seen them offered through Raintree Nursery.

Here in Zone 7, they have done very well (except for one that had an attack of saddleback caterpillars). They haven't seemed to need any coddling, even the larger one from Edible Landscaping transplanted without any problems (and that was this August). The leaves are glossy and the limbs are a pretty sort of zig-zag. Both small ones flowered this year, but no fruit yet. Keep in mind the flowers are itty-bitty, not showstoppers.

I'm jealous that you can find fresh jujubes locally! So far my jujube trees have been great additions to the yard. I read about them 1st in Lee Reich's 'Uncommon Fruits for Every Garden', which is a great book (in my opinion).

Sherwood, OR(Zone 8a)

slubberedgulion...OH WOW...Thank you so much for the information of where I can get some plants...so they are a tree...correct?...and you are saying there are different types?...I am so excited about growing these...And Will also go geta copy of the book you suggested...I had seen that book and thought it sounded like a good one...I Just love finding the 'Uncommon' fruits...heck I love the uncommon anything...LOL..have you heard of the Gogi Berry and WolfBerry...simular bushes...Got them last year...Thanks again..
Debe

Roanoke, VA(Zone 7a)

I want to try wolfberries. I was given a plant this spring, but it met a sad end, so I'll try to grow some from seed this winter.

The most common jujube trees are 'Li' and 'Lang'. I want to try 'Sherwood' too. Everyone seems to have different opinions about which taste best (and when). I hear 'So' (contorted variety) is very pretty and at least one person has written that they produce good tasting fruit.

Have fun reading up on them!

Berkeley, CA

There's also a contorted jujube that has to be one of the most dropdead gorgeous plants ever. I think they taste incredibly good, and wonder why there aren't jujubes available in farmer's markets and such here in Berkeley, where we have rangpur limes, 20 types of chilis, buddha's hand citron, etc.

I have a website that sells unusual edibles and I'd appreciate feedback from those who might be interested in purchasing jujube trees, because I found a good source for them. I'd sell them in 1 gals. You can visit my website via Dave's Garden if you search for Bay Flora.
Maureen

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Roger Meyer is THE jujube man.

14. Roger & Shirley Meyer 6
16531 Mt. Shelly Circle, Fountain Valley, CA 92708
VOICE: 714-839-0796
E-MAIL: xotcfruit@yahoo.com

Central, AL(Zone 8a)

I did order jujubes from Raintree and got nice plants in great condition. They were planted in March of this year so will be awhile before I get fruit. Still I endorse their jujubes.

Baltimore, MD

I just ate my first home-grown jujube last weekend. It was from the Honey Jar variety, I got the tree from Roger. I can tell where the name comes from, it was sweet like honey. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was, I had planted jujubes without expecting a whole lot. Many of the varieties available in the US are the kinds meant for drying, not fresh eating. Honey Jar is a variety from China that is meant for fresh eating.

Scott

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

Here's a link to a thread I started about this tree. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/659143/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Hmmm, now where could I work a jujube tree in to the back yard? :-)

The thorns sound pretty wicked, though -- do all varieties have them?

I haven't every tasted the fruit, but I did pick up some jujube juice at an oriental market last year. I thought it tasted remarkably like my memory of the candy, so I think there must be a link between them.

Greensboro, AL

Hey, Y'all! There is another thread on jujube trees in the trees and shrubs forum, started by escambiaguy 10-8-2006. It is a tree ID.

Greensboro, AL

Hey, Y'all! There is another thread on jujube trees in the trees and shrubs forum, started by escambiaguy 10-8-2006. It is a tree ID.

Peonymaniac: a contorted jujube? WOW. what is the fruit like?

Greensboro, AL

Today I stopped by to visit the Champion jujube at Gaineswood historic site in Demopolis, Ala. I wanted to compare the trunk size to the one that escambiaguy shows in the thread above. The Gaineswood tree has quite a small trunk and a low crotch branching into a three trunked tree. It is about 20 ft and looks to have had fruit this year.
There are a number of suckers under the tree that have been mowed away. The tree itself looks to be in poor health. There is a lot of deadwood. Can the suckers be propagated?. They seem to be attached to healthy roots from the main tree about 3 inches below surface.

Berkeley, CA

Hi Gloria,
Fruit on the contorted jujube is the same as the regular tree, which I think is 'Li.' However, the fruit itself is not contorted. But the branches are amazing and if you remove the leaves they make the most wonderful branches for bouquets ever. Then you can eat the fruit, which I found surprisingly good. And just last week our local market started carrying fresh jujubes, although they were a little wrinkled.
Maureen

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

I found the taste to be okay, but I didn't care for the plastic-like skin which doesn't go down smoothly. LOL

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

isons nursery also sell jujube

this is what the cat says

chinese date
needs hot summers for fruit to ripen
most trees are thorny so if have kids be careful.
grows to 15 in height. hardy to -10
fruits ripen in fall zones 6 -9

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.