Coming home - holiday in Edinburgh

Middlesbrough, United Kingdom

I've booked an autumn holiday in Edinburgh. There's a storytelling festival on at the end of October - last of the season.

I'm having quite a long stay - 10 days or so. But I'll be aiming to use this as a sentimental journey as well. I hope to get a chance to visit my cousin Barbara, who lives in Newtongrange, 9 miles out of the city. May take a journey out to Newbattle Church as well and take some flowers to my Mum - she is buried in the churchyard there. I'm so thrilled by this holiday!!!!

When I rang the Tourist Information people the lassie at the other end asked if I knew the city at all - I replied that my family came from there. Ah, coming home, she said!!!

Mount Prospect, IL(Zone 5a)

This is really exciting! I am happy for you that you are finally getting a chance to go to Edinburgh. Be sure to take pictures and do tell us how the story telling goes!

Looking forward to this. Some days the storytelling is only on in the evening, but that's okay for me cos I will use spare time to get out and about day-tripping.

Weymouth, Dorset, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Taking time out from your busy schedule?

I've never been to Edinburgh, but people tell me it's a facinating city.

We're hoping to do Scotland at some stage, it's just the long journey up there that puts me off!!.I hate driving (or being driven that is) and I detest motorways.

Never having lived away from my home town for long, I've never had that 'coming home ' feeling, but it must feel good. there's a ridge that you come up over to drive into Weymouth, when you reach the top, the sea, cliffs and town are laid out before you, I always give a sigh...

Will you be doing some story telling whilst there?Honing your skills.?

Someone should write a book (not easily translated into words I know) teaching parents how to tell stories, there's a lot of parents out there that have never done that for their children, but then I guess they're not going to be the sort that would buy a book like that anyway...

hope you have a fab time, tell us all about it when you get back

I'm sure there's a book or two Sueone. Why don't you do a search on google? Your public library could get it for you on interlibrary loan.

No, I probably won't have much opportunity for storytelling while I'm there - I really need a storyround for that and I don't think this festival is having one. But I'll have lots of chances to listen to good storytellers though and to learn from them!

Some of my classes aren't on that week as it's the half-term holiday.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.