Conifers and Broad leaved evergreens

Thornton, IL

Any suggestions for the smaller garden? I'm in zone 5a.

Was thinking dwarf inkberry (Ilex glabra) for use as foundation planting/backdrop. Have read that 'Densa' doesn't get as leggy, faster-growing sub for boxwood.

Looking for pyramidal evergreens, considering chamaecyparis or tsuga canadensis. Want something with looser texture.

Thanks.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

What's the ultimate size you'd like and how fast growing? Shade/sun/exposure? Just pyramidal evergreens?

Thornton, IL

Slow-grower preferred, western exposure with some shade from house. Here's what I'm replacing, overgrown yews in front of picture window, and arborvitae growing into eave on the left, big hole from yew in one on the right. Thanks for looking.

Thumbnail by PrairieGirlZ5
Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

How about:
corner of picture window - Juniperus scopulorum 'Sparkling Skyrocket' or 'Moonglow'. Both are extremely slender exclamation points.
Moving toward the steps and also on the other side of the steps, Chamaecyparis pisifera filifera 'Aurea' or 'Gold Mops'. Friends of mine have these next to their front door in a western exposure and they're beautiful flanking the front porch.
In front of those: some Blue Star Junipers

IMHO, I'f you want symmetry, I'd go for a symmetrical look on either side of the stairs, rather than at each front corner. Since the door is off-center, you can't really get symmetry by planting 2 tall things to mirror each other at the corners. If you wanted to keep that look, though, the skinny junipers are slim enough that putting one between the steps and driveway would be do-able without making it crowded or having to to worry much about pruning to avoid blocking the drive.

You might also consider some some Microbiota decussata, which have a lovely cascading look but are basically groundcover. Here's a pic of mine that started 4 years ago as a 3 gallon plant.

Thumbnail by mickgene
Thornton, IL

Very nice Mickgene! I already reworked left side of steps withour evg, its on curb appeal forum makeover thread, considered Hellmond pillar barberry but ran out of room, LOL.

I am looking for other ideas for the bushes, they will be backdrop to wider perennial beds, also to replace arb, 3-4 W desirable, nothing too skinny as can't bring house into scale with tree anyway, cuz of lampost. Was considering Lawson cedar or Canadian hemlock? Yours are great ideas for dwarf conifer garden I hope to have someday. Thanks again for looking.

Edited to say, really like Moonglow, Rocky Mountain juniper may be the way to go!

This message was edited Oct 5, 2005 11:44 AM

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

I'm not familiar with Lawson cedar and have decided for myself, to stay away from the Tsuga canadensis since most "experts" are saying that they're well on their to being wiped out by the adelgids. Such as shame since they're so lovely. I saw a show a few weeks ago that named an Asian substitute but can't remember its name. It was on People, Places, and Plants on HGTV.
The Chamaecyparis should easily get to 3-4' wide. They're not dwarves. I have plenty of dwarves, too. But none of these qualify as true dwarf varieties, as far as I know???

Thornton, IL

Dwarf is a relative term, meaning slower growing than straight species, or sometimes that it only grows 1-2" inches per year (prob what we mean by TRUE dwarf!). I think I may just go back to arborvitae and look for one with bluish leaves, and inkberry or boxwood for under the picture window. Rats!
p.s. what is adelgids?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

The hemlock wooly adelgid is an insect that is denuding the hemlocks in the US and Canada. They can be controlled somewhat by really diligent spraying, but it only slows them down, as far as I understand.

Thornton, IL

So many insects are having their way with trees, serves us right for trying to re-arrange the entire planet, LOL. Thanks for the head up. Found out that Lawson cedar not hardy here, so need to make another selection.
Plan to just go to the nursery and see what they say about some preliminary choices I've made, looks like arbs get winter burn, junipers more drought tolerant. So back to square #1.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.