Photo by Melody
Announcements
Time to judge the entries in the 2024 Pixel County Fair. You have until September 24th to choose your favorites HERE!

Trees, Shrubs and Conifers: Conifers and Broad leaved evergreens, 1 by mickgene

Communities > Forums

Image Copyright mickgene

In reply to: Conifers and Broad leaved evergreens

Forum: Trees, Shrubs and Conifers

<<< Previous photo Back to post
Photo of Conifers and Broad leaved evergreens
mickgene wrote:
How about:
corner of picture window - Juniperus scopulorum 'Sparkling Skyrocket' or 'Moonglow'. Both are extremely slender exclamation points.
Moving toward the steps and also on the other side of the steps, Chamaecyparis pisifera filifera 'Aurea' or 'Gold Mops'. Friends of mine have these next to their front door in a western exposure and they're beautiful flanking the front porch.
In front of those: some Blue Star Junipers

IMHO, I'f you want symmetry, I'd go for a symmetrical look on either side of the stairs, rather than at each front corner. Since the door is off-center, you can't really get symmetry by planting 2 tall things to mirror each other at the corners. If you wanted to keep that look, though, the skinny junipers are slim enough that putting one between the steps and driveway would be do-able without making it crowded or having to to worry much about pruning to avoid blocking the drive.

You might also consider some some Microbiota decussata, which have a lovely cascading look but are basically groundcover. Here's a pic of mine that started 4 years ago as a 3 gallon plant.