Helleborus - what is it doing?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

They are VERY slow to multiply and flower.
Mine were very small when I got them 5 years ago.
Then 2 years before a Flower showed.
They are now filling in quite nicely.

Here's a better shot from last Spring.

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Janet, Yes, I will have to get the camera out today and take some pics.
All the posted pics of your hellebores look so nice. I just love the spotted ones. Need to get some of the doubles tho.
Carol

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

Here is another bloom today. I bought this plant in bloom in the spring, so I wasn't expecting it to bloom this winter. Thrilled Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Richmond, VA

yikes, what a bizarre season i'm having, I share henryo's concern about being weeks ahead of what i'm used to
the camera is my friend again and i have lot's of pics - how many do you want?
this one is interesting because for the past 10 years it's bloomed a lovely apple blossom pink with a yellow flush, but this year is white as snow...so far. ah, the mystery of it all!

Thumbnail by mcgina
Richmond, VA

this is the "good yellow" that's at the top of the home page of my website (www.winterwoods.net) it has always been very vigorous, over 100 blooms last year, grown from seed from Gisella Schmiemann

Richmond, VA

oops! it's coming back to me
also have snowdrops (galanthus) going crazy

Thumbnail by mcgina
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

H.foetidus is just starting a show!

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

The buds of 'Royal Heritage'

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I think this is a bud on what I think is H.orientalis

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This is H.X nigercors 'White Beauty'. It was planted this spring and it grew a couple of new leaves that look ratty now, which I hope won't be the norm since the silver veins are so pretty. I was expecting new leaves, but this looks like a bud. I have 2 and they both look like this.

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

This is the other:

Thumbnail by gemini_sage
Richmond, VA

hey neal, i hope it does well, my nigers are really disappointing this year
i'd cut off that old growth and if you have a slug problem thin that mulch out alittle
heres a nice greenie

Thumbnail by mcgina
Richmond, VA

and one of your gothic favorites

Thumbnail by mcgina
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Ooooh, springy green and dusky plum....Gorgeous! Do hellebores mind growing through short groundcovers? I'm envisioning deep colored selections with a silvery ground cover like lamium to make the color pop. Guess that could be a slug haven, but suprisingly I have'nt had much problem with slugs. I only mulched a couple of weeks ago and those leaves were already ratty, I think just from age, but I'll be on the look out for the slimy little monsters.

So, it seems everyone's hellebores are blooming too early. Or at least east of the Mississippi that seems to be the case, which seems like a pretty broad region. How much cold can the blooms tolerate without damage?

Richmond, VA

this might be the year we find out! remember the pics i sent last winter of full blooms covered with snow? our usual erratic temps have never been a problem before but we've only had one hard frost (20's) so i don't know if stuff will be acclimated when we get real cold weather. what really worries me is that on some of these blooms the pollen has started to de-hiss (ripen) and i don't know what that will mean for seed production. did i tell you i got more seed orders from Japan than from the US? I'm hoping for a better year this season with seed sales as the pots aren't getting any lighter!
torrential rains today, forecast for another week of temps in the 50's

Thumbnail by mcgina
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

From Japan!? Very interesting... and how cool! You may be on your way to being a big horticultural influence there! Hope you can get feedback on their performance there. I keep catalogs in my mind with listings of expensive, new, cutting edge hellebores with the title "a winterwoods introduction". You may be the Judith Freeman(the lily breeder) of Hellebores! I think big, lol, but its very exciting. With interest in hellebore growing so much here, I'm surprised sales were dissappointing. Think positive; word will spread.

A friend of mine was just asking me about pollination of flowers blooming now and I was clueless. Are they wind pollinated?

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

I love everyone's Hellebore pictures! They are beautiful!!

This is the very first season that my Hellebore, 'Lady Red' has buds. I'm so excited!! I even dodged the raindrops to snap this photo!!

Thumbnail by Shirley1md
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Congrats Shirley!

Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

It looks like we are all getting flowers!

Shirley, yours is coming up a nice colour.

This is my open seedling, the green tips on 2 petals might have looked better if there was 6 petals with another like them. There is a lot of striation.

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Lincoln, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

I have another seedling showing plum colour

Thumbnail by wallaby1
Richmond, VA

Neal, love your vision! I think one reason I didn't get much US action is that i don't show up on a google search yet - except aparently in Japan and South Korea ???? The number of hits a site gets determines how fast you move up the list on google and other search engines SO if y'all could occasionally click on www.winterwoods.net (after dave of course) it would help. Also I'd love suggestions and recommendations for updating the site.

Hellebores are bee pollinataed and with as warm as it's been i'm thinking they are still active
god knows the mosquitos and spiders are - i am recovering from a BAD spider bite, on meds that are keeping me pretty housebound

Thumbnail by mcgina
Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Oh my, so sorry to hear of your spider bite- hope you heal quickly. Insects are still active here; still lots flying around the porch lights at night, but I have'nt seen any bees lately.

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

This thread is getting pretty long, and since I'm the one that started it, how about we go to part two?

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/681522/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.