bugs on lily leaves

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a number of different lilies - Casa Blancas, Star Gazers, etc. and I discovered this on the underside of ALL the leaves. This is on nothing else in the garden - just the lilies. So - I "pressure washed" each leaf (whew!) and now I need to spray? What suggestions? I love my lilies.

Also, ants are marching up and down the stalks like they do on the peonies....??

TIA,
Sterling in Atlanta

Thumbnail by sterhill
Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Yuck...don't know what they are though. Most of the time I use Concern brand insecticide for bugs.

Does it appear they're doing any damage?

They look like aphids which are sap sucking pests, the ants 'farm' them for the sugary substance (honeydew) aphids secrete.

Waxhaw (Charlotte), NC(Zone 7b)

Yep, that is indeed aphids. Use an insecticide rated for aphids and spray both sides of the leaves. repeat weekly until you have them under control. They are among others responsible for spreading virus, so early action is recommended.

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

OK - I have pressure washed them off (various sources say the ground predators will get those) and sprayed with an insecticide rated for aphids. I have a really big mass of them and ONLY on the lilies so far.

Thanks to all

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.