SOUTH FLORIDA RU 11/12/05

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

This is the place to be...one and all....our RU is planned for November 12, 2005 in Broward County. Depending on how many decide to come will determine where it is held...It will be either at a home here or at one of our parks. As of now we have the following showing interest:

Name-----------------From---------------------------Number Coming--------------------------Bringing to Pass

MollyMac-------------Ft. Lauderdale ------------------------2-----------------------------------
Happy ---------------Ft. Lauderdale------------------------2-----------------------------------Cake
Amaryllisgas--------Alachua---------------------------------yes
artcons----------------Ft. Lauderdale-------------------------1
bmwrx7....................alva,fl.............................................2.......................................cookies
budgielover ---- PinellasPark ---- yes
candela ......................................................................1..........................................enpanades
Cearbhaill---- N. Lauderdale ---- yes
ConnieMounts---- Indiantown ----------------------------1-----------------------------------------?
corky59 --------- Lakeland---------------------------- 2 -------------- Potato Salad--tables--chairs
delecie ---- Homestead ---- yes
Dogzilla ---- Tallahassee ---- yes
flyboyFL ---- Longboat Key ---- yes
gisele ---- Sebring ---- yes
grakay ---- Palm Coast ---- yes
JaxFlaGardener---- Jackonsville---- yes
jnana---- Cooper City --------------------------------- 1-------------------------------------Salad
junglebob--------------Palm City-----------------------1
juja ---- Lake City ---- yes
KillerChihyahya ----Merritt Island ---- yes
lourspolaire -------- Lauderhill------------------------1---------------------------------------Killer Caesar salad
MelodyML---- Spring Hill ---- yes
MzMunchken---- Crestview ---- yes
OlgaN---- Miami---- yes
patischell---- Ft. Pierce ---- yes
polarbear_77---- Orlando ---- yes
ricfl---- St. Petersburg---- yes
sylck ---- Rockledge ---- yes
terrieurban---- Indialantic---- yes
Tplant ---- Pembroke Pines---- yes
Tremax-----------------------Delray Beach---------------------------------2
tropicalbamboo---- Loxahatchee---- yes
weeds ----- Lynn Haven ---- yes

The ones that have a "yes" means that they commented that they would be interested and probably come. Let me know how many and what you can bring.

Thanks

Hap

ps THIS IS THE SAME POST THAT WAS ALMOST DORMANT ON THE RU FORUM....SO MOVING HERE.....

This message was edited Sep 29, 2005 7:11 PM

This message was edited Oct 3, 2005 7:33 PM

This message was edited Oct 4, 2005 9:25 AM

This message was edited Oct 12, 2005 9:09 AM

This message was edited Oct 16, 2005 7:38 AM

This message was edited Oct 17, 2005 5:55 PM

This message was edited Oct 20, 2005 9:53 AM

This message was edited Oct 21, 2005 2:21 PM

Hap, I'm confirming. My DH may come, but it's not for sure. I'll bring a salad.
Val

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Tremax------------Delray Beach-------------two are coming

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Butiful......

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hap, thanks for keeping these records and going to all that trouble organizing this.

I'll take a leap of fate and confirm my intention to attend the SFLRU on Nov. 12th. I'll come alone and I'll bring my killer Caesar salad with homemade dressing and all the fixins. Some please bring a pound of breath mints.

Confirming lourspolaire from Lauderhill, 1 gardener, Caesar salad.

Sylvain.

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

Anyone in the Pinellas/Hillsborough area that would like to carpool?

Fort Lauderdale, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi all. I'll be there.

Do I post here what I want to bring here, or via dmail to Hap?

This is my first RU. Here are more questions.

Has it been decided where it's going to be?
How about the hours?
What facilities are available at the location we are meeting at? Is there shelter, tables, benches, etc?
I don't see a swap list by anyone yet. Is this where swap or want lists are posted?

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Art, the place will depend on the numbers coming....If just a few, as of now there are 11, it can be held at my house. If we get a lot more it will have to be at TY Park off 95 in Ft. Lauderdale. My house is off the Sawgress Expressway near Commercial Blvd in Ft. Lauderdale.

I will start a trade list for the RU now.

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

happy,
i will be there as long as i dont have to work. i just started a new job so i am not sure of my scedule yet. i can make some empanadas.
cass

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Perfect....How about chef?

Miami, FL(Zone 10a)

hap,
chef will probably be working or fishing, actually i will ask him for a crudite, or or better yet a chocolate peekaboo cake. i am going to ask my neighbor if she would like to come. she has a great garden and would love to trade.

The more the merrier. I'm inviting a couple of MG, I will find out tomorrow if they accept or not.

Cas, is your DH a chef? How exciting, I love good food.

Val

Cass, I have to ask, what's a enpanades? Good idea with the neighbor. If she likes us she may decide to join our group.

Hap, when you go back in to edit the message above, you can delete all the "This message was edited Sep 29, 2005 7:11 PM" messages, saving you some room.

For now, pencil me in for nametags, marker and a welcome table. I will reserve my "what to bring" decision on what's not been spoken for later on. I must say, with a chef and a chef's wife on hand, I would be a bit intimidated with cooking something.

Art

Lakeland, FL

Billie and Jack from Alva she will bring something. Good to!!!!!!1

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Ahhh, wish I could come south that soon. I'd love to join you but I must stay here intil Jan. 4th for some medical tests. I hope to come to central FL in january, for maybe 2-3 months.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Darius, by that time I should be able to do the dance-of-joy and actually get to meet you!!!

Art, An Empanada is a rolled circle of dough, put some kind of filling (meat, fruit) on half of it, fold it in half, seal the edges and fry. They say every culture has some form of Empanada. Here in the south we use a fruit filling and call it a fried pie!!!! Yummmmm.
Pati

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

There are 2 threads in the Recipe Forum for empanadas

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/449845/
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/449074/

Pati, Thanks! In my culture I guess it would be a Calzone, only we bake them rather than fry them.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

May I jump in here?????

Doesn't the emp. use a pie-type dough and the calzone a bread dough????

Just a curious chef wants to know....heheh

Hi Hap, I don't know about the emp., but the calzone does use a bread type of dough, ususally a pizza type. I am sure there is something in our cusine more similar, I just am not familar with it.
I was brought up in a mixed ethnic family. Dad Italian, Mom Russian. I learned a little of both types of cooking.
A little side thingie...my Russian mother had three sisters who also married Italians.

Arturo Domenic Constantino

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I WAS married to an Italian, so I think that they are all crazy.....

Hap, I don't think they are more or less crazy than other ethnic groups, but I do think with their way of expressing themselves they appear to be more so than others.

I think I finally figued out what bump is.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Hey.....you're catching on.............yippeeeeeeeeeeeee

That's a polite way to put it....you are quite the diplomat..

Alva, FL(Zone 9b)

bmwrx7.........alva,fl..............2..................cookies

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's wonderful....I haven't met you before, so this will really be a pleasure...Where do you hang out here? I'm usually on the coleus forum and I hope soon to be begonia forum and of course the SF Gardening..

Welcome.

Nancy Lee

Indiantown, FL

Hi I will be coming by myself. What would you like me to bring?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Anything you would like. We will fill in what is missing, but usually everything works out on these deals... Will be good to see you.

Hap

Lakeland, FL

Where is this happening at? I can bring tables and chairs. Cork

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

As is it looking now it will be in TY park, just off 95... and easy get-to for all. If there were only going to be a couple, I was going to host it my house.....stilll may,,,,if it's still standing after this weekend.

Tables and chairs would be great either way.

Thanks.

Hap, what kind of facilities are available there? Does anybody know for sure? If not, I will plan on taking a ride there this weekend and check it out.

Art

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

They have everything....full service, if you know what I mean.......to rent a place is about $80, so we are opting to just get there early and state out an area near the "Johns" etc.

Lakeland, FL

Hi, I am coming in from Lakeland. I need a address? Or zip code etc. to get driving directions. TY, Marilynne

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

As it stands now, it will be held at: get this....not kidding...........

Topeekeegee Yungee Park..........aka TY Park
3300 N. Park Road
Hollywood

954-984-1980

Hap

Lakeland, FL

Thanks, me

Palm Bay, FL(Zone 9b)

think i will try and come as well...what should i bring?..what do you need...bob

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

junglebob....I'm so glad....I'm sure that chairs can always be used. Maybe some cookies? Will it be just you?

Hap

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

It looks as though we are up to about 16.....Sounds good.

I will be away for a few days and MollyMc will be tending the store.

For those who plan to come, please plan on bringing your own plates, silverware, drinks...etc.

Thanks

Hap

Have a nice trip Hap.

Art

Lakeland, FL

Well, after this whopper of a storm are we still gonna have the meet? Cork

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Marilynne,

Of course we are. I have some standard tropicals to share with anyone who needs/ wants them and this will be my last down this far south for a while. It will be very special for me.

So let's not give up on this.

Molly
:^)))

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.