New to FL gardening, help please?

Lutz, FL

Hi. We moved to FL from NJ and the house we bought has some nice landscaping but it seems that the previous owners didn't do much upkeep, they were here less than a year. My most pressing problem is our crape myrtles, there is a grouping of them in the yard and they look like they are dying. One has almost dropped all of its leaves, while the leaves on the others are yellowing/browning and curling. There is also black sootish stuff on the leaves and branches, bark. There is also moss and green lichen-type stuff on them.

If I need to call someone in can someone recommend someone in the Tampa area?

Oh, I have a group of 3 gardenia back there, one just dropped all of it's leaves.

Thanks in advance

(Zone 9a)

Welcome to Florida, Jean. I have crape myrtles, one with sooty stuff, but I think I have it in a location where it doesn't get enough circulation. I poured soapy water on it, and that helped a little, but it still needs work. The other three are fine. Myrtles are diciduous, so they will be bare, but it's early yet, so I don't think yours should be losing leaves yet. I am sorry I can't help you more, but you will get a lot of responses here.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Jenn,

We have a member here at Dave's who lives in your town. I will have my little bird whisper in her ear.

Molly
:^)))

P.S. There was a crepe myrtle in my old back yard when I moved in there 5 years ago. I knew nothing about gardening back then and had a notion to remove the thing cause I thought it was dead. Good thing I was a bit lazy, because come spring, it was glorious with pink blooms.

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Jenn,

Welcome to DG and to Lutz.

Molly's little bird found me...unfortunately I know nothing about landscape plants or the companies that care for them but there are many landscapers and gardening companies in Tampa and the surrounding areas.

Ask me to ID your weeds and wildflowers instead!! I can usually do that. LOL

Good luck with your new garden!

Stacey

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Hi Jenn and WELCOME to FLORIDA!

It sounds like your crapes got buggy stuff on them, but I wouldnt worry too much about it. Most drop their leaves for the winter so whatever bugs are on them now, I doubt will still be around by spring.

Even though I think this practice is not really necessary... you could trim all the branches and make neat bushes out of them or keep them tree form (if the trunks are sturdy enough) and they will sprout new growth in the spring. As for the moss and stuff, I dont think that is too bad. They are not sucking life from the trees. (correct me if I am wrong here, folks) I have a viburnum tree that is covered in moss and lichen and it is doing well after all these years. I even got to really enjoy the look. Adds more than bare bark.

As for the gardenias, I will have to defer to fellow members. I cant seem to keep any that dont just die or get bug infested. :(

Sorry for the long post, I hope it helps!
Ana

Lutz, FL

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I did a little more research and I think it's aphids, the black stuff is sooty mold. I went out and sprayed them with the hose and tried to wash it off, and a lot of it did come off.

I've been checking out other crape's in the area and some leaves are yellowing so maybe it's the time for this type of crape.

As for the gardenia, it may be a watering problem. I put the sprinklers on and noticed they don't get all the way back to the gardenias, plus they are on a little mound. The water just runs off.

I'll do a little watering for the next couple days (it's still hot!) and see if that helps them.

I'm sure these are the first of many questions!

Have a great day

Jenn

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

You could consider a spray with neem or volck oil spray to remove the soot if you don't want to wait for leaf drop. Check the labels to see if they are safe for crepe myrtles before using.

http://kendall-co.tamu.edu/publications/B6127.pdf

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Howdy Jenn
I too have just been learning about Crepe Myrtles and suggest you look at their many forms before doing any trim. They can be graceful, or many other ways. Just give them a year and you will know.
As for soot, I use fresh strong warm dishwater and gently scrub to get soot off. Spray it on too. Rinse well. I tend to have soot more on gardenias.
Water will help the gardenias.
sidney

Longboat Key, FL

Jenn~

Welcome.

Gardenias.

You must use a "systemic" insecticide. This stuff gets "into" the plant. This is the only way I can get to cut blossoms and bring them into the house without those darned little bugs.

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

Welcome to DG and Welcome to Florida. i agree with not pruning yet. they are so much more beautiful in their natural state.. wait a year for major decisions when it comes to re-doing the landscape just to get your feet wet. everyone here can help in one way or another! debi

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.