Propagating Monstera Deliciosas?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

howdy ya'll,

does anybody have any experience with propagating a split-leaf philodendron? Can this even be done? it's such a beautiful plant, and i think a have room for another. just wanted to make sure before i went out and bought one. any suggestions or advice would be really helpful. have a great day.

chach_08

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I'd recommend air-layering. Air roots are produced all the time and if you can place a strong enough bag or use tinfoil with elastics and moist moss you should get roots and be able to cut the plant once the roots are established. The other method I've used is cutting the stem and laying the pieces horizontally in a flat on heating cables. I got about 50%.

Livermore, KY(Zone 6a)

I took my spilt leaf apart this year and divided it up. I did stem cuttings where an ariel root was and I took the long root stems, cut in 1 1/2 sections and put in different pots around the house. It took awhile to grow a leaf, however they are coming up now in all my houseplants.

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

I've done the same with broken stem parts and laying them on the soil with the aerial node down.
I have also rooted in either vermiculite, perlite or soil.
Either way, they do take a bit to root but they do just fine.

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

I root these by taking a 6 to 8 inch cutting in July or Aug, placing in a
pre-pared 6-8 inch pot filled with Fertilome potting mix. I don't soak
the potting mix, just top it off with water. I leave these on the North side of my house on the patio in shade. In a month, it is rooted and starting to grow. I only do this in warm weather. The cuttings that I don't use a rooting hormone on root just as fast as the treated cuttings.

Jackie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.