Pecan trees for west KY?

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I know that pecans grow here in west KY, but I'm looking for a cultivar that will be commercially marketable...and bear nuts in the fastest amount of time. My cousin is thinking about putting in a pecan grove on his new farm and asked for my advice...

What's a good variety for zone 7a to warm 6b? We are closer to 7 than 6 right here and are just looking for the best for our money.

What care does a nut grove entail...pests? pruning? fertilize?

I'd like a good, sweet nutmeat in a shell that is easy to crack...(duh...who wouldn't?)

Just looking for advice and options.

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Your cousin will need to acquire pecan trees that are labeled "hardy". He needs trees that will do well in his area. Here in Texas there are few pecan trees that will grow well all over the state. The same could be true in Kentucky. Depending on the variety and size of tree, it can take between 5 to 7 years to bear a crop. He will also have to have trees that bear pollen when his trees are in bloom to pollenate his orchard. Pecan orchards are labor intensive and the biggest mistake people make is to put in more trees than they can handle. I would suggest he look at the different varieties recommended for his area and plant a few of each to see which grow best on his farm. While he is growing these first trees, he could use the time to fine tune his knowledge of pecans, pests, pruning, fertilizing, get the soil tested, get any soil problems corrected. Most of all, this is not something that can be accomplished overnight. Quote: "And bear nuts in the fastest amount of time" This sets off warning bells. Is he the patient type?

Unless there are new varieties, papershell pecans are grown in warmer zones. Most hardy pecans have thicker shells. Your cousin should start by contacting the local University of Kentucky's Cooperative Extension Service agent to find the varieties recommended for his area, what pests he is most likely to encounter and a list of recommended literature on commercial pecan orchards especially as it pertains to his area. I've enclosed a link to your District agent.

http://ces.ca.uky.edu/extension_district_directors/District_7/7.htm

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Melody,
Best pecan for our area of the state(I'm in Hopkinsville) is still the "Major" selection, but there are others that you'd want/need to include in any planting, to ensure good cross-pollenation as well as some variety in the nuts produced. 'GreenRiver' and 'Posey' are also good old standby varieties. 'Chetopa' is a must to provide good late-season pollen to set full crops on Major.
Kanza, Yates 68 & 127 are all Major offspring which appear to have good promise.
Mohawk & Pawnee are two Southern pecan varieties which do well here, producing larger nuts than some of the northern/midwestern cultivars, but they have some problems with incomplete filling as they age.

Join the KY Nutgrowers Association!

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

Hi Lucky! You're just across the Lakes from me. Sounds like you have alot of info...where is the best place to purchase these varieties in your opinion? I like to shop as locally as possible...keep my money close to home, even if it means spending a bit more.

I've only got a couple of 'Heartnut' trees on my property, and am looking to put in some trees that will make nice yard trees also...(got 4 acres)...my cousin has 250 acres and is wanting to make some of it work for him in other ways besides grazing cattle. I'm headed to google the KY nutgrowers assn. and will probably be back with more questions.

By the way, welcome to the forums! Glad to see you here.

Hopkinsville, KY(Zone 6b)

Best place to buy grafted nut trees is Nolin River Nut Tree Nursery, over at Upton, KY; www.nolinnursery.com - John & Lisa Brittain offer the largest selection of nuts, pawpaws, and persimmons of anyone I'm aware of.
If you come to the KNGA spring meeting in Elizabethtown(usually the 3rd weekend in April, but I haven't received the newsletter yet), there is a scionwood/plant material swap, with members bringing scionwood and seeds of pecans, hickories, walnuts, persimmons, pawpaws, apples, pears, etc., a grafting demonstration is held, seedling nut evaluation, and an auction of grafted nut/fruit trees, berry plants, ornamentals, etc. to raise operating expenses. It's the social highlight of my year!
There is a KNGA member over at Kevil who has a commercial pecan planting, and looking back at the most recent KNGA newsletter I can put my hands on, there were at least four people from Benton at the 2004 spring meeting.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.