Hurricane RITA - thread #9

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Here we were: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/546755/

Here's NOAA: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/#RITA

We are trying to keep the thread reopened after about 100 posts... Patischell should be along shortly to steer, or anyone else. Going to try to sleep so i can be available during the worst part of the storm tomorrow.

tamara in the TOP of Texas

EDITED TO CORRECT LINKS...

This message was edited Sep 23, 2005 10:02 PM

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Gotcha, Tamara! Would you edit the hyperlinks? They don't copy over well. ;)

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

GOT IT!

take it away TF!!!

tf

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Anyone getting anything from the affected areas?
Calls, text, etc........

I'll be around for a few more hours at least.
This is the hardest part.
Waiting....................

Be Safe ALL!
Ric

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

i got a call from my sister's cell phone. details on prev thread. about thirty minutes ago.

for me the wait tomrrow will be the worst.

good night!

I'm hear with y'all. Praying ... praying. Hey, Honeybee, if you're still around ... you stay safe! You've been through enough, girl. TamaraFaye, so glad you finally got to talk to your sis! Now maybe you can relax a wee bit. Your little boy really sounds sooo sweet. You tell him to just keep on praying! Miracles happen EVERY DAY! ... Elaine

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

had to get the curretn update:

...wind impacts...
jefferson and orange counties...a wind gust to 66 mph was recently
recorded at the noaa tide station at sabine pass and 70 mph at sea
rim state park. winds will increase to 75 mph by midnight...and over
100 mph towards daybreak saturday morning. hurricane force winds could
last 10 to 12 hours.

hardin...jasper...newton...tyler counties...winds will increase to
75 mph after midnight...and gusting near 100 mph saturday morning.
hurricane force winds could last 8 to 10 hours.

catastrophic damage can be expected across the region due to the
strength and duration of the extreme winds. numerous trees and
power lines will be downed...with widespread and extended power
outages likely. some structures will also fail.

...rainfall impacts...
extreme rainfall will also accompany rita...with a storm total of 8
to 12 inches expected. locally higher amounts up to 20 to 25 inches
will also be possible across eastern texas and western louisiana.
these rainfall amounts may cause catastrophic river flooding.

...tornado impacts...
a tornado watch is in effect for all of southwest...south central and
central louisiana through 6 am saturday morning. due to outer rainbands
of rita. additional tornado watches for southeast texas are expected
later tonight.

oh, yeah, NOW i can sleep :^{

That's really good info! Thanks sooo much!

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I haven't been able to get through to my daughter as of yet. She fled Port Arthur/Beaumont and is now someplace in Jasper but I sure wish she had been able to go further north since I hear it is going to be bad there also..I just wish I could talk to her but her phone is not working..

vswilliams, so sorry to hear about your daughter. Know you must be very worried. I would be, also, if I were in your shoes. We'll just pray that she's ok. Remember ... no news is good news, ok? Just hang on and try to remember that. Phone lines and towers are down right now. That doesn't mean anything bad has happened. She'll be in touch when she can. Praying ... praying. ... Elaine

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Our power flickered once, but came back on. I keep looking out the window to see what is going on - or trying to look out the window, anyway. Charles boarded them up yesterday, so there is nothing to see but the back sides of the wood. LOL The wind is blowing strongly, but we've only heard a couple of rumbles of thunder. It'll be a couple of hours yet before we start getting the really rough stuff.

I cleaned 98% of the toys out of the girls' room and we put our mattress on their floor. They find that pretty odd. LOL We're about to put them to bed. It will be interesting to see if they fall asleep on their beds or ours!

I'll pop in later if the power is still on. Please be safe, all you folks in Louisiana! We're more worried about you than about us at this point.

~ Marylyn

Y'all stay safe, and give them babies a hug for me, Marylyn! ... Elaine

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I am doing just that and I know she will get in touch when she can. after the terrible 15 hours it took her to get that far yesterday she was so frustrated but my grandson who is 5 was just being so good and trying to make her laugh it was such so sweet to hear him on the phone while they were siting in traffic. On the other hand my son was in Houston and ended up going back home to Victoria this morning, he said he was afraid of all the flooding possible in Houston and may have a hard time getting home after the storm..
I moved here from Houston and been though a lot of these storms but I just wish my daughter had come here and I wouldn't have to worry about where they were..

Holding hands with you across the miles. *smile* ... Elaine

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I feel for all the ones in those areas. I am praying mine and all will stay safe through this terrible night.
Vickie

Is anyone from NO here anymore? What about you, Pati? Are you doing ok?

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

hi all!!!

We are in austin. far away from the storm. But my home is not. 30 years of our married life there. All my plants. i have atleast 50 plus huge amaryllis bulbs in pots. 25 + plumerias. 20 orchid cactus. This was ny first year to aquire many lg coloered plants.
Had mostly white.12" across bloom, many ric rac cactus,burgs an and on.

Broken hearted.

Oak Grove, MN(Zone 4a)

Sweetie, if anything that grows in Michigan will also grow in Texas, I'll send it to you. Glad you are safe, hang in there.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

We're SO glad you are safe, Sandy!!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

..it is really bad here ya'll i'm scared.

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Mom, ya never know, with the way this storm is peetering out and going right instead of left.

Glad you are safe, now stay that way!

mg

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm worried about you, Lisa! Some of those big bands are heading right for you.

Lisa, I'm worried about you too. Hunker down babe, rustle up the cats and get in the closet.

I'm still sending cool breezes down from Iowa.

mg

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

oh my gosh, i don't know how long we will have power..its bad..the whole house is moaning and creeking. I 've never heard it do this before. I'm scared.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

*LOL* Well I think I just saw my house with a big red bullseye on it while watching the weather channel.

Vicki, When we drove through Jasper they had several shelters but very little gas, they might not have been able to find gas. We left this morning around 2 am. I know we had to see 75-100 cars pulled over on the side of the road out of gas.

Been a change of plans we aren't going to Austin till Sun. Just felt we would be to stressed to drive in rain after knowing we wouldn't sleep tonight cause of watching the news.

Just to give you an Idea of where my home is, Sabine river (pass) is under a bridge that crosses over to LA (state line is in the middle of the bridge) I live a few miles from the state line right off of I-10. My worry now is flooding, since we are in an X flooding zone (lowest rating you can have for a flood zone) we didn't pick up flood insurance. So everyone please send positive thoughts for any flooding to be caused by waters coming in the house via the roof etc. My neighbor is staying so maybe we can contact him and see how we fair in the morning.

Thanks everyone for thinking of us and I'll try to keep in contact but can't promise you'll hear much of me Saturday and I might be having a small mental breakdown *G*

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Sending my prayers to you all..stay safe..
Vickie

Hang on sweetie, hang on. If you are that scared, your kids must be twice that. Try to take a couple of deep breaths and calm a little. Yeah, I know, easy for me to say. Just remember, we are all here rooting and praying and praying and praying. You will get thru this one too, then you're moving up here to Iowa by me so your kids can make snowmen and go ice skating.

mg

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The current conditions at Baytown are winds 33 MPH and moderate rains.
Heavy rain bands are starting to move in.

Being on the NW side of Rita is a big plus.
Once it hits land it should bear away from your home.
The newest forecast:
The highest POSSIBLE winds 65 w/ gusts of 80.
Not anywhere near what they thought when you left.

Sandy it's good you are safe and where you are.
Keep up the Faith!

Ric

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info. Last night about 10 was the last time I talked to her and they had run out of gas but somehow found some and got to Jasper where she is staying with friends. I am not sure what will be left of her house when she can get back into Beaumont. she was in the process of moving this weekend and this came up so some of her belongings are in nederland still and most was already moved into her new house around Beaumont but I am still not sure where exactly she moved to. Stay safe in Orange, I have spent alot of time in your city many years ago.

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

I just had a call and my daughter was a little frazzled and said they were moving to another location someplace called pineland not sure of it's spelling..so maybe you all know whee she might be..She could only stay on the phone but a minute so I couldn't get much info. from her.

Hi Saint ... So good to hear from you! Sandy, Lisa and everyone hello and hugs. Prayers and y'all stay safe! ... Elaine

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lisa,
I've got the Houma radar up now.
It looks as if the worst is on you right now.

Hunker down and hang on.
We're all here for you!

Good Luck! and (((HUGS)))

Ric

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

thank you ric. the rains and wind are twice as scary as katrina was.

Have you seen this image?

http://forecast.mssl.ucl.ac.uk/shadow/tracker/dynamic/main.html

mg

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Either it's thundering out there or the squirrels are dragging the pecan tree, one branch at a time, from the back yard to the front. It's hard to tell which. The lights just flickered again, too, so I'd better get out of here. I'll check back in tomorrow if the electricity is still on. I'm praying for all of you to our east!!!! Please be careful!!!

~ Marylyn

Lisa ... still there?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I'm just catching up again...Oh, man, I'm sweating it with you guys.

(Zone 8b)

Lisa hang in there girl. The worst will soon be over.
Thinking of you and the kids - and Hambone.

This is what I was trying to show.

mg

Thumbnail by mornin_gayle
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The northern eye wall is hitting now.
Winds clocked at 111 in Cameron.
It's still moving N/W.

Hang on Lisa! (((Hugs)))

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.