need help with saving tomatoe seeds

Thornville, OH

Hi. I can't seem to get the hang of saving tomatoe seeds....they stick to everything when they dry...any suggestions? mark oh, and read my journal on how Christ helped me in my life...it's worth the read! God Bless1

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Mark, there is a primer for saving tomato seed. It is called the fermentation method, I used it this year,and it is great. Simply put, put the tomato seeds in a cup, glass, whatever, add just a little water, let set until you smell a sour smell, or see mold, then pour into a strainer, and all the other stuff will wash off, leaving you with clean seeds. Let them dry for several days in a clean plate, then bag them for keeping.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Very good, defoecat! Good going!

There is also a step by step tutorial in my garden diary for folks to take a look at (complete with pics!).

Please feel free to click on my name, then "Read Horseshoe's Garden Diary". (it's the only entry I've made, so far!)

Hope this is helpful!

Shoe.

Mark...WELCOME TO DG! And many thanks for sharing your garden journal! God Bless us all...each and every one.

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

I like drying them on plastic screen. They don't stick much and get some good air circulation.

Beerburrum, Australia

How to process your own seed

http://home.iprimus.com.au/ironbarkbob/seed/process.htm

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Just catching up after a few weeks away...

Horseshoe's primer is great! Fermentation is important for improving germination rates, and I think it also helps prevent disease. I dry tomato seeds on a paper plate, or even on a paper towel. They do stick, but I think of that as a positive aspect, as it keeps them from blowing off their designated plate so I can be confident about keeping the varieties separate. When they're dry, they're easy enough to remove by scraping them off gently with my nails.

Rosedale, WV(Zone 7b)

If you spread them out nicely on a cheap paper towel, you can put the whole towel into a tray of rooting medium, seed side up, cover lightly with some more medium and start them in batches. It sure beats trying to position tiny seeds one by one in potting soil . . .

Thornville, OH

Thanks! mark

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Great idea -- like DIY seed tape!

Franklin, NC(Zone 6b)

No mold problems?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.