Corkscrew vine blooms and seedpods :)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

OK I have some gorgeous blooms still on my vines, but wanted to say just how FAST these seedpods are growing! just last week they were only like 3 inches long, they are now well over 5-6 inches long!!! I did have some seedpods newly formed that fell off, well I don't think they fell off, I think the ants chewed them off, and we had a crazy windstorm fly thru here 2 nights ago that blew many buds, blooms and pods off the vine, it was so strong it even bent over alot of my brugs and broke some of the blooming bud flowers - just snapped them right off! Crazy weather! we only got a smidgen of rain that night, mostly wind!

Here are my bloomies :) showing the front and back of bloom

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

I hate to sound so dumb and I must be blind too....:) do you have a seed pod pictured in there...and if so...what color is it ?

My blossoms have so many curliques..I cant tell if I have any pods of not :)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

oops, no I didn't sorry, I will run right down now and update with a photo of seedpod, I forgot to take the recent size of them to post!
check back in few minutes to see seedpods, they are easy to spot once you have seen one, the others just pop out at ya! Right now they are green and sure blend in with all the leaves!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Here ya go, it's a nice clear shot, but once you see them, you will know exactly what to look for. I will post next a picture of smaller ones, so that you might know what to look for on just starting seedpods.

Laurrie

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Seeeds pods....watering in my mouth........LOL
Kaleem

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

and here are those smaller ones just forming so you can see what they look like, I first noticed them by noticing that some of the dried up blooms were hanging by a "thread" and when I looked closer that is when I found the baby seedpods...........

Here is another informative thread started by Pudgymudpies where I experimented with pollenating my own instead of waiting on small ants: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/542364/

and here are more photos on this thread: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/541915/

here they are in PF: http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1884/index.html

Hope this helps some :)

Laurrie

This message was edited Sep 21, 2005 1:51 PM

Thumbnail by OhioBreezy
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Kaleem, LOL, I hope they stay on and ripen for me :)

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Just updating, they are still holding (most of them) and growing all the time :)

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I have many long recemes of fragrant blooms on my huge vine, but not one seed pod - wonder why the blooms didn't get pollinated - any ideas?

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Mine vine was covered with blooms for weeks...covered with ants and bugs of different sizes but no pods. Then I started doing my own pollinating like Laurrie suggested and 4 days later I have seed pods starting. Dont know why...but only the blossoms that I worked with have pods !!!

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh Charlotte that is wonderful!!! if nothing else you helped them along I would say!!! Yeah!!

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Someone sent me a rooted piece of this vine this Summer and it has leaves now but has not flowered much less made seeds. When is it supposed to flower?? I guess I should dig her up and pot for inside over winter since we do get some freezing temps here??! Bonnie

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

Ohio Breezy, thanks for the pic of the seed pod, I ran right out and sure enough seed pods. Do you think they will survive until they mature. I am speaking of the crazy weather are having right now. In the 80's today but by the end of the week the temps are going to drop into the 40's at night. I am sure all my tropicals will be unhappy campers. I sure hope I don't lost the seed pods and the plant is still in full bloom and doing wonderful.

JoAnn

Ps. I haven't been here for a couple of weeks as my hard drive blew up and now I am playing catch-up with all the posts.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL JoAnn, I hope you get all caught up, I am thrilled to hear you have seedpods too, Is yours in a pot? If so when those temps drop below the mid 30's I would drag pot into garage or house or somewhere, that is my aim. My pods are all hanging on pretty good and getting huge, still green but still hoping!

Bonnie, it should be flowering now I would think, perhaps it will still have time to set seed for you, your zone is so different than mine, so I don't want to try to answer too much here, hopefully someone closer to your zone will come along to help you out.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Bonnie
Mine flowered all of Sept.The vine has been growing since early spring and it is huge.I'm sure your's will flower next year.
Nancy

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Bonnie....depending on the "age" of the plant some dont flower the first year. Here in SC, you dont have time to wait for flower and pod. And the pod to ripen. You better dig her up ! :)

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

Mine is not in a pot and it is very large, I guess I will have to have DH hold the two trellis's while I try to dig it up. I would like the seed pods to have the time to ripen and the weather I don't think will cooperate considering it is October.

I can hear it now from DH you want to do WHAT, take in a plant that is taking up half of the house, you really have lost it haven't you.

JoAnn

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL well just tell him that some things we really do have to baby, even if they did try to eat the house. lol.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Bonnie
I am not bringing my vine indoors yet.It is in a pot.I will bring it in before the first freeze.We have at least a month to go down here on the coast.

Laurrie,

It is really cool to see how this vine flowers and performs, I can't wait to see flowers on my vine if I can keep it alive over the years. Thanks for sharing!

Joseph

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Joseph, I bet you keep it alive, lol, just to see all these flowers!! Wait until you smell those blooms, it's 10x better than looking at the pretty blooms!!!

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

Good Morning, I just had to share a bedtime story with you.

I went to bed around 11:00 pm last night opened the windows as it was very cool here. The temps dropped into the 40's quite chilly, but my vine was talking to me. A breeze blew in the window and I awoke because of the most wonderful scent filled the bedroom.

AHH my vine scent filled the entire room and took my mind to another place in my dreams what a wonderful night I had. I kept waking up just to inhale the great fragrance.

This is the first time I have grown this plant and will continue to so for many years to come.

JoAnn

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Thanks JoAnn for the wonderful story, I too love the scent, I still have mine outside yet here, but am seriously thinking of bringin inside just to sit next to it!!

I can't wait, but wait, I must.

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

LOL patience, I waited since 2003 from when I planted my first seeds!!!!! Definitely worth the wait guaranteed!!!

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Yes Joseph, it is well worth the wait! :~)

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Very excited here this morning. I just had to report back that I have seed pods. I have been so busy with sending out boxes, collecting seeds, propagating and bringing my more tempermental tropicals in that it completely crossed my mine. We had a ton of rain here over the weekend and I thought I would go out and see how everything was doing and sure enough, I found pods. I know this isn't a very good pic but it was the closest I could zoom in. The seed pods are mid way the second story window and higher. I hope the weather holds out just a little longer. Lots of the flowers are gone and leaves are starting to yellow. Hubby is getting the ladder out tonight and I will just have to get over my fear of heights (hopefully).

Thumbnail by dottnmd
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Oh Congrats!!! That is wonderful for you seedpods!!!

Maybe your hubby will climb the ladder for you? ;)

Goshen, OH(Zone 6a)

Dott, congrat's on the seed pods I also am wondering of the seed pods will make it maturity, the weather here right now is very chilly and none of my tropicals are looking to perky and I am not ready to cart them in the house just yet.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

JoAnn

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Next year Laurrie, I will doing they wrapping the way you have done as to not have this problem again.

DH will most likely go up the ladder for me.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Wow, look how lush and tall your vine has grown. I can see the pods! How do you overwinter it, dott?
:) Donna

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Donna, this is the first year it has gotten this big. Last year I just brought the container in and watered maybe once a month. It didn't have much light and lost all but a few leaves but once the weather warmed up again I started seeing new growth and started watering it more.

DH and I went out and counted 14 pods that we could see from the ground against the back ground of the house. I am now going to try to get him to get the ladder so I can get a closer look.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

That is alot of seed pods. Somebody was sure busy this year....lol. Be careful on the ladder!
:) Donna

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, DH said it was getting to dark to climb the ladder safely but he was really scouting 3 dear in out back feild. If I could carry that big ole ladder myself I would. I took the camera back out to take a couple of shots. I had to use the flash but the pic are still a little dark. Laurrie, you have me all excited. If it hadn't been for you posting about this vine growing seed pods, I would have never checked since everything I had heard was that they were hard to set seed. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I counted 12 pods just above and at the roof line. I used paint to circle all the pods in yellow. A couple had 2 pods in the circle.

Thumbnail by dottnmd
Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Dott I am truly tickled to see you found pods, and even though it might be hard to get some of them on account of the temps dropping, hopefully some you will be able to salvage, if you HAVE to chop the vine in order to get it down, cut off parts of the stem holding the seedpods, stick them into a jar of water, sit on windowsill, they should continue to ripen that way, I have done it with morning glory seeds and they did fine :)

I am delighted I had you looking, but please if you climb that ladder, make sure someone holds it and you are very careful - those pods look to be up there pretty high!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.