Lily Help needed

Hope Town Abaco, Bahamas(Zone 11)

Do any of you grow lilies?? I have a Grand Crinum Lily (may be called Spider Lily) and I have a propagation question--which I posted on the Propagation Forum Sept 16...have gotten no response. If I knew how I'd make a Hyper-link, but until I learn would you look on the Propagation Forum, Sept. 16.

Thanks for any help (with Lily, or the hyper-link)

Perhaps no one responded there because I misspelled propagation!! :)

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Greenink,

I saw your question the other day in propagation but thought someone would come by who knows a little more than me.

First off, living in the tropics, propagation knows no seasons far as I'm concerned. Now for that pup you have growing down there. I would dig around that side of the base of the plant and find the point where the pup is attached to the parent. Then just cut it off. That's assuming there are some roots growing from the pup. Use some rooting powder on the cut end and plant it.

As for the bloom stalk bending over and attaching to the ground. That is curious. I have some Water Spider Lilies that have the same kind of bloom stalk. They also fall over from the final weight but none have attached to the ground.

As an experiment, gently loosen and lift that piece from the ground but don't detach it from the parent yet. Put the end in a pot of soil and leave it there and see if it grows a new plant, like the walking iris. If it does continue to grow a new plant, then cut the stalk off.

For lack of any other advice, what do ya have to lose?

Did you do okay with TS Rita? She's passing by us now. Lots of rain and wind.

Molly
:^)))

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

kitty, hope you survived rita without too much damage. i think molly was right on with the pup, but i have been reading alot about crinums lately and they have very large bulbs, make sure you dig down far enough to get the new bulb along with the pup. that seed you show in the picture can be planted on it's own without the rest of the stalk. i did one a few years ago. i can't remember how much of it i put in the ground. i don't think all of it. i probably just pinched the stalk alittle below the seed and stuck it in the ground that way. that plant is now about a couple feet tall (counting the leaves). it takes a long time doing it that way. if you could find someone with lots of them and let you dig the bulbs it would be alot faster. i hear some of them weigh up to 40 lbs! after being disturbed i think it takes them a year or two to bloom again. hope this helps. debi

Hope Town Abaco, Bahamas(Zone 11)

Thanks so much Molly and Debi--I am going to work on this soon!! The freight boat comes our way on Wed--and we got a pallet of mulch...so we're busy spreading that. The lily is next on my list...now that I know, thanks to you all, what to do!!

Rita sent wind this way, but not much rain. My heart goes out to those along the Gulf Coast.

Thanks again!
Kitty

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.