Giant Elephant Ears

Lakeland, FL

This is such a grower. It blooms all year around to. Corky

Thumbnail by corky59
Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, Corky.

I am definitely a large plant enthusiast. What a dreamy specimen. I want one, I want one. I tried to grow one by the goldfish pond last summer but it didn't get enough sun, our summeers are too short, etc. Ooh, I definitely like this one. Congrats.

Sylvain.

Lakeland, FL

Hi, I will be at the round up in Nov. so I will bring you a bulb as I have several babies. Cork

(Zone 9a)

Beautiful plant, Corky. Like Sylvain, I hope to plant one by a someday hope to have pond.
Nancy

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10b)

Nancy -

you don't need a pond. we have some in our back yard - good compost, and shaded by 15 foot arecas...

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

Corky - that is a wonderful picture of a beautiful plant. Is yours in a moist area?

Lakeland, FL

Hi, it's in filtered light-shade and i use the alfalfa horse feed fertilizer and some fish oil capsules and it just thrives, I have some of the giant sansevera on the side where the a/c drains and they have went crazy. They smell so good when they bloom. Wil send pic soon. Cork

Corky, thank you so much. You've made my day. I am looking forward to:
a) be in Florida by them,
b) start gardening again (the growing season is over for me),
c) meeting all of you nice people,
d) taking part in the S.Fl gardeners' roundup in November.

Take care.

Sylvain.

Hi again, Corky.

My command of Florida's geography is basic at best. I used Google Earth to locate Lakeland, Fl. Now I know it's 213 miles from Lauderhill. Hey, have gas will travel.

They weren't kidding when they named the place Lakeland. I count at least 9 lakes around there, not to mention Parker Lake, which appears quite considerable. Must be nice up there.

Sylvain.

(Zone 9a)

We ought to have a Central Florida round up.

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Fireant,

Here's some pictures of the Central/South Florida RU we did last February. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/486423/

Here's the organizational thread for that event: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/473332/

I will be moving to the Gainesville area this winter, so I shall have to pass the Baton on to someone else to organize the next one I think, it will be a little far for me to travel for a while anyway.

Who wants to volunteer? It was a great place to meet at.

Molly
:^)))

(Zone 9a)

Molly, that appears to be a huge event. It looks like a lot of fun. There's a park on Lake Harris in Leesburg that might make a good round up location, but it is probably too far north for South Florida.

morganmom, I have been wanting to install a pond for quite a while, but I injured my knee, so I had to put it off. My future SiL started the process for me, and I hope to get working on it again in a couple more weeks. I thought the elephant ears would be a stunning plant near the pond. It sounds as if they need shade, and I don't have much shade, so that may be a problem.

Nancy

Nancy,

There are a lot of EE's that can take quite a bit of sun and there are some that need some sun to maintain some of their colors. So don't give up on having EE's by your pond. They look really great by the water.

Keep an eye on where your shade is at different times of the day, keeping in mind that changes a lot between summer and winter. If need be, you can plant something in a choice place that will provide period shade.

For the sake of keeping the algae back, a little shade is a good idea for the pond too.

You need to let me know when you are ready for some floaters. I have some of the aquatic sensitive vine that I need to thin out now. Oh, oh, I have some other things to say. sending your demail now.

Molly

(Zone 9a)

Thanks, Molly. I'll follow the advice on the EE's.

Lakeland, FL

fireant-- Where is Mascotte? I manage a huge mobile home park, have a huge clubhouse lotsa outdoors etc. We can have a central Fla. Round-up here in Lakeland. Molly d-mail Billie and see if she will do the Feb. one. She is in Alva. Has anybody heard from Carol? Cyberageous? xoxoxo all, Me

(Zone 9a)

Mascotte is north of you. It 's right up 33 to 50. Lakeland is easy for me to get to, and I can go to a February roundup. Try trackinsand and LaLampChop, too.

By the way, I like your voodoo tree, too.
Nancy

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh, goody, Cork! This would be much more manageable for us than Lake City (even though I promised a couple things to folks....Molly, for one).

When would you try to do this? As of now, there is one Oct. 8, one in Nov. and Feb.2006. Maybe other folks in our Central area would find this a better fit. Or they can go yet another one. :)

Sue

Sue?

Which one is in February? Where? and who's doing it?

Molly
:^^)))

PS: by next spring I will be more central and will be able to make a lot more round ups!!!!

Lakeland, FL

Well Molly-- You think u got it bad I have no clue where the Oct. one is? Duhhhhhhhhh I am set for Nov. tho. What about doing the Centrall one here in Lakeland in March? A spring time fling?

Marilynne,

The October one is just south of Lake City on Oct 8. I am going to that once since I will be up in Gainesville this coming week.

If you want the Central Fla RU to be in Lakeland, I would come. (I wonder if any of my plants will still be alive in March after the cold long winter of Gainesville?)

Molly

Safety Harbor, FL(Zone 9b)

Adding to that...

Directions - also posted on the Trade forum posting.

If coming from Jacksonville – Approx travel time 1-1/2 hours

Get on I-10 West till you come to the first Lake City Exit (Highway 90) – Take 90 west thru Lake City until you reach Branford Highway (247) which will be on your left. Drive about 12 miles south until you cross the 247 & 240 intersection (a blinking yellow light with a Shell Gas station on your right). Go thru the intersection (about 300-400 ft) & take the first left onto a dirt road.

If coming from Tallahassee

Get on I-10 East till you come to 75 – go south on 75 till you come to the first Lake City exit (Highway 90) – turn right going east on Highway 90 about 2 miles till you get to the Branford Highway (247) intersection which you will turn right. Drive about 12 miles south until you cross the 247 & 240 intersection (a blinking yellow light with a Shell Gas station on your right). Go thru the intersection (about 300-400 ft) & take the first left onto a dirt road.

For those of you coming from the south –

Take 75 north till you reach the Ellisville exit (Highway 441) exit there and go north approx 5 miles and you’ll come to a blinking light that is Highway 240. Turn left at the blinking light and go approximately 12 miles to Highway 247 (another blinking light) turn left – at the top of the hill (about 300-400 ft) turn left onto the dirt road.

(NOTE: when traveling across highway 240 you will come to a blinking light at highway 47 continue straight across to the second blinking light this will be highway 247)

ONCE YOU GET ON THE DIRT ROAD - That is Montego Avenue OR 25th Avenue. One side of the road is Columbia County (Montego Avenue sign) and the other is Suwannee County (25th Avenue sign). Our property (10 acres) is located on the left hand
side of the road – about 5 or 6 mailboxes from the initial turn. It is a white (beat-up) mailbox with the name Morelan and 457 wrote with a black marker. Sorry but local kids luv hitting new mailboxes with bats so we keep the old beat up one and they leave ours alone. I’ll try to have balloons on mailbox and maybe a sign. The driveway is about 500-600 foot long & you will come to a clearing where you will be able to park. I’ll try to have a couple of wagons available to help you unload. Please remember to bring small set-up tables and lawn chairs if you can as I have a limited number of these available.

Now, another one maybe, in Lakeland....

Sue

Lakeland, FL

Okay folks, I am looking at March here in Lakeland for a meet. I will set a date soon. I belong to the Lakeland Beautification program sponsored by: Lakeland parks and rec. The head Kahoona is a friend so I am going to get with him to see if he can do a short but sweet program on Fla. gardening-- so my date will depend on his schedule. He just may have plants, flowers etc. to share to. Any way I will let all know by this coming Wed. re: date. I have a heated pool to so ya can bring your swim gear to. Okay "that's all" folks. Corky

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Wow Corky, what a treat. Do you have camper cabins like those K folks?
Are you coming to Lakeland this week? Would be great to meet you.
sidney

Lakeland, FL

That one is in Lake City-- I will be at the Nov. ru tho. Cork

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Duh, Brain warp!!
:)

Lakeland, FL

Cork here is 62, pretty sharp in am, after 1 forget it I am drain bed ha ha. hagd, Me

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm 65 and I know what ya mean, Cork.....

Hap

(Zone 9a)

Cork, where is your campsite located in Lakeland?
Nancy

Lakeland, FL

Okay it is an adult mobile home park-- 308 sites, no r.v.'s tho. Cork

(Zone 9a)

Is it north, south, Lakeland? Near the new mall? I know the Lakeland area a little because I lived there for a few years.

Lakeland, FL

So. Lakeland--- Harden and Beacon-- new mall going in right across from publix by expressway-- just below Dixieland

(Zone 9a)

That's a nice area. With traffic lights, it's harder to get through coming from the north end unless Polk County has put expressways through there.

Lakeland, FL

yup, we now have polk parkway easy to get here on it,

(Zone 9a)

Where is Polk Parkway? Off what road? It used to be so inconvenient traveling down Florida Avenue to get to the south end.

Lakeland, FL

you can pick it up off of 1-4 go to google and get a map of lakeland it shows up real plain.

(Zone 9a)

Okay. Whenever I go to Lakeland now, it's usually in the area of the new mall. It's nice to know an easier road through there exists.

Do you still have bulbs of this plant? If so, could I buy one from you?

Nancy

Lakeland, FL

I will share a bulb i think there r one or 2 newbies. me

(Zone 9a)

Could I send you SAS package?

Lakeland, FL

yup the silly thing is blooming again. i will send u babies do u have a place w/ filtered lite or mostly shade to put them?

Lakeland, FL

Well, I went into a plummie web site-- the size that i have or am trying to root if we had to pay for them are: 39.99 so all u guys cross fingers, toes, lips etc. and hope these root. Wahoo

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.