Containerized Stargazers and Oriental Lillies questions

Mars, PA

I potted up two containers of Stargazer Lillies and they bloomed beautifully. My question now is how do I overwinter them? I'm in Pittsburgh, so they will freeze if left outside in the pots. Do I leave them in the pots and bring them into the garage, basement, etc, or dig them out? I am unsure of what to do. Also, I have a mix of oriental lillies in a bed that is looking crowded. When and how is the best time to divide and replant? Thanks, Liz K.

Haydenville, MA(Zone 5a)

If you have space, you could plant them in the garden...leave the stems/leaves in place if they are still green and plant about 3x depth of bulb or so...about 8-10" deep. You could also wait until the foliage dies back, remove the stems and plant.
I overwintered some lilies in big pots (3-5gallon+ size)....I put them in a plastic deck box (like the ones used for cushions) lined with the sheets of pink insulation board (about 2"thick) They came through pretty well. Not all came up/most did. Not all bloomed/many did - some were full size bulbs, some were bulblets/offsets.

Edited to say that there are others who are a lot more experienced than I am who may give you better advice...
Good luck

This message was edited Sep 19, 2005 7:46 PM

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I grow lilies in pots that I tuck into the basement when the leaves turn brown. When growth becomes evident in the spring, I move them back outside. After they bloom potted a second time and the leaves turn brown, I usually insert them in the ground.

Mars, PA

Thanks to both of you. I think I will put them in the basement and then next year, after they bloom, into the ground.

Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

|Hi, I am in zone 6, and recently got interested in Asiatic Lilies, and want some planting advice. When, how deep, do I dig in the fall? I have NOVICE written on my forehead, help! help! help!.

Thanks

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

No problem! They're pretty easy to keep happy and just a few things to keep in mind:

Like most bulbs, lilies should be planted 2 - 3 times their height. (from nose to bottom)

You can plant when the weather cools and as long as the ground isn't frozen. I was planting in November last year.

Good drainage is a must!

To ward off bunnies, (they LOVE to eat lilies) sprinkle some blood meal right around the lilies as soon as they emerge in the Spring.

So Moby, will they survive the winter in ground, what do you do, dig them, or just mulch?

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Nope, they like the cold. So much so that there a couple of excellent lily growers in Canada.

I don't mulch although I do have oak trees that don't lose their leaves until late and there they stay until Spring. In your zone, you can mulch if you like but I don't think it's something you need to worry about too much.

Thanks again Moby!!

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Anytime ~ always happy to help out a fellow lily lover. :)

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

My question is - is it too early to put my lilies on the ground - this is the first time I bought so many lily bulbs - I don't want to lose them.
Thanks

madonna lilly
lollypop asiatic lily
trumpet lily
orange star tiger lily

This message was edited Oct 10, 2005 2:56 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

rose_mallow, plant them NOW!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.