How to protect raspberry from wasps?

Jamison, PA(Zone 6a)

We did not have problems with summer crop but they are eating our fall crop now. I have two years old son and do not want to spray anything dangerous. Thanks!

Sultan, WA(Zone 8a)

I know this sounds weird, but we hung dryer sheets in the area our food was being served when we went camping and the flying insects kept their distance. Just a few.
Your best bet is to find their nest(s) and destry it. Or you could try setting out traps all over the place.
You could try Knox-Out 2FM, a microencapsulated diazinon, often difficult to find in retail stores but may be available by special order or from a pest control company. The bait is set out in a special bait container, changed every day or two, as long as the bait continues to be consumed. The feeding wasps carry the bait back to the nest, feed it to the larvae, which die. Its best used in the miseason,though.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I know that with grapes many folks cover each bunch with brown paper lunch bags with some small holes punched in them for air circulation, but obviously that wouldn't work with raspberries.

The only thing I can think of would be to use some sort of cheap floating row cover (as it would obviously end up destroyed due to the thorns). There really isn't anything you can spray to deter wasps from food crops without contaminating the food itself.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.