Please keep it cool in mid-July.
Bless the walls where termites dine
While ants and roaches march in time.

Bless our yard where spiders pass
Fire ant castles in the grass.
Bless the garage, a home to please
Carpenter beetles, ticks and fleas.

Bless the love bugs, two by two,
The gnats and mosquitoes that feed on you.
Millions of creatures that fly or crawl,
In FLORIDA, Lord, you've put them all!

But this is home, and here we'll stay,
So thank you Lord, for insect spray.

HOLD IT............there's more............

YOU KNOW YOU'RE IN FLORIDA IN JULY AND AUGUST WHEN. . . .

The birds have to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.

The trees are whistling for the dogs.

The best parking place is determined by shade instead of distance.

Hot water now comes out of both taps.

You can make sun tea instantly.

You learn that a seat belt buckle makes a pretty good branding iron!

The temperature drops below 95 and you feel a little chilly.

You discover that in July it only takes 2 fingers to steer your car.

You discover that you can get sunburned through your car window.

You actually burn your hand opening the car door.

You break into a sweat the instant you step outside at 7:30 a.m.

Your biggest bicycle wreck fear is, "What if I get knocked out and end up lying on the pavement and cook to death?"

You realize that asphalt has a liquid state.

The potatoes cook underground, so all you have to do is pull one out and add butter, salt and pepper.

Farmers are feeding their chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying boiled eggs.

The cows are giving evaporated milk.

Ah, what a place to call home.

God Bless Our State of FLORIDA

Lake City, FL(Zone 8b)

AMEN!!!!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Love it Hap!! I think we should work on some verses to post in January or February so our "northern" DG'ers would have an idea of why we REALLY live here! LOL

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

I like it Hap, especially "Hot water now comes out of both taps"! I wanted to take a cool shower the other day but there was no cold water! LOL

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi.

Happy_1, thank you. I laughed so hard.

We were at the condo during the summer of 2000 and had it not been for those 3 weeks, we wouldn't have seen the sun at all that summer. That year, it rained and was cold all summer here in the great white North.

That's when I learned to live a tropical lifestyle, as one of our neighbour calls it. We would go about the day's business between 8 and 9AM and take the rest of the day off by the side of the pool, in the shade. I was good at it, too.

Yes, I agree with the conclusion: God bless the state of Florida.

Sylvain.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2005 2:46 PM

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

AMEN!!! I hate walking just down the driveway in summer. My tender toes get fried just going to get the paper. But I wouldnt have it any other way!

(Zone 9a)

I like the fireant castles. I know what those are.
Nancy

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep ! We've got it tough for four months but the other eight more than make up for it. God Bless Florida ! Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

AMEN!
Pati

Orlando, FL

I never laughed so hard in my life. In the summer I am ready to leave and never come back.. But you told it like it is. I have seen my husband cover in the middle of summer ....Amen ORLANDO

Freeport, Bahamas(Zone 10a)

I live not too far from Florida in Grand Bahama and boy, I totally agree with you. I could so easily replace Florida with Bahamas! But it is all worth it when we get to garden year round, we are wearing tshirts in January and all our friends from up north come to visit! Oh and a personal fave, when lobster season is in full force and we can buy 44 tails for 50 bucks!

Thumbnail by lpakosh
Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I'm you're new guest ...Ipa....are you serious about the lobster? When do they come in? Also, I can't tell what's on your counter...is that for us?

Hap

The pic is of surf and turf cooked to perfection by my hubby! I love Fort Lauderdale, go and do my shopping there all the time.......fave hotel is the Hard Rock!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

OKAY, I think we are in busines......my DH goes out on the gambling ship twice a week and he has been after me to "just go see" the HR.....maybe have dinner..I don't gamble so it's no attraction for me. But, if I was going to meet someone there for coffee or whatever, I might be interested....Please let me know the next time you come, if you wish...

Hap

Oh you have to go to the Hard Rock with your hubby for dinner. The Council Oak is a wonderful restaurant, Tatu is spectacular for sushi, but my hubby says nothing beats the food and view at Hooters........LOL! I probably won't be over until later in the fall, maybe in October or November. I will let you know when I know. Now I am off to find some way to preserve all this basil I just cut back. It was getting waaay to leggy so I chopped off a HUGE bunch. Drying doesn't work for me but I am researching the other links on here and have found a few ideas. Have to see how it goes. Do you do any particular gardening there in the fall and winter? I am going to try some veggies this year. I am not worried about being too late as it is still way too hot for tiny little seedlings here, they would cook in a heartbeat. Oh well....time to go back to work.....gotta love this kind of work!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ipa,

Try cutting the leaves off the stem and layer them in a small jar/tupperware/whatever with olive oil, then refrigerate....They will keep ages that way.

Don't do vegies.

Not into sushi, but if The Council Oak is into beef, I'm in. Cows run when they see me,,,,,,so my husband says.

I don't do anything in particular, just keep the stuff going. Going to try impatienes this winter. I'll see how that goes..
It's still hot here too.

Nancy Lee

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Ipakosh --- Why not start your seedlings indoors like I do ? Gives me a headstart for the season...
P.S. No Fair showing those succulent lobster tails and even worse "44 tails for $50" I pay that for two tails at a restaurant!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Tplant....you're getting a good deal too! LOL They do look good...

I know, I know, I should start with seeds, but I am too impatient to deal with impatients.......hehehe I did the seed deal when I lived up north and a lot younger. A LOT younger.....

Hap

Nancy Lee,

The Council Oak has gorgeous steaks, they have a walk in freezer at the front of the restaurant where two guys are preparing the meat..cutting them into steaks etc... I understand about the carnivore nature...my mother and sister were both vegetarians for years and I could never give up my red meat.....I ended up converting them both back eventually! LOL! My sister would actually sit at the table and moo at me when I had a steak or hamburger....what an upbringing! I knew I had my mom when I caught her sneaking a bite of pepperoni when she thought no one was looking....she was soooo embarrassed and my dad and I had a great laugh.

TPlant,

I am sorry about the lobster, I am so spoiled over here. We have friends that always go and check what the boats have brought in on Mondays and Wednesdays for us. My husband also catches some great snapper off our canal. And there is always a local selling fresh conch on the side of the street. The restaurants here get you just the same, lobster tail dinner costs $25 for two or three medium sized tails. And at the WinnDixie sometimes they have fresh tails and they can cost over $20 for two. So I think I just know the right people that go to the right places....LOL!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

What time should I make reservations for? Today????????? hehehe can't wait....

Hap

Oh my goodness you should smell my house right now. There is nothing as fragrant as fresh basil that is being prepared for the freezer..........even my hubby likes the smell. I promise you won't be disappointed in the restaurants........I haven't had a bad meal at the Council Oak ever. I actually might be in town next week, time to go see the doctor and do some shopping for my kids....school projects and such. If you would be interested in meeting a crazy 30 something mom of two ex Canuck now Bahamian, let me know and maybe we could meet for coffee or a drink one day. I plan on staying at the Hard Rock. Let me know what are good days and times for you!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Ipa,

I'm about double your age but still kicking..I would love to meet you. Any day and any time is great, for I am retired. If you are pressed for time this trip, we can just do coffee.

See you soon..

Hap

Hi Hap! Well it is confirmed and I will be in town next week for a few doctor appointments. Are you a morning kinda gal? If so, I would love to meet for coffee......I have an appointment at 11 on Wednesday and would love to try for before that. I am usually not in the greatest of moods after the appointment......LOL! If that works, great, let me know. Tell me where you would like to meet too!

Lisa

P.S. I can't bring any lobster with me, they won't allow it. Is there anything else from the sunny Bahamas that you like? I would suggest some local plants but for some reason I think your side of the ocean has them all already! LOL! We all sneak stuff from HD in in our suitcases....the only way to get new and different plants here.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Lisa,

Wonderful.....Are you staying at the Hard Rock? I can meet you there about 9.....or anywhere for that matter.

Hap

Hard Rock, 9 am.....there is a little coffee shop right by the spa.......I will see you there! Look for the crazy blonde in a wild tie dye dress.....I seem to always stand out, wonder why that is? LOL!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

OK crazy blond............WHAT DAY?????????.................I'm laughing so hard right now I can't stand it.............................

Wednesday...................is that a good day for you?

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

Perfect....

I'm a little blond so I don't stand out.... lol

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.