Need ideas for swimming pool with tropical look

Sunset Beach, NC(Zone 8a)

Hey there! Getting ready to install inground pool (at this time of year??!!) in FL Panhandle near Destin. Would love to see some photos of pools with a real tropical look. Thanks!

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi BDunn:

Here is a link to a photograph that belongs to Cearbhaill. This is from her "before and after" thread.

http://www.davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=1549286

Thanks so much! You're on the right track. WOW! What are those huge palms in the front part of the photo at left and right? I don't think that kind would work here in the panhandle compared to you, but I do want to use lots of palms. I think I'll also do a "before and after".....that will be fun to see later. Thanks again.
Barbara

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

try to use palms that aren't spiney. ouch! debi

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

AMEN!!! I still have scabs from 2 weekends ago when I trimmed my Phoenix Robellinii... OUCH!!! Ana

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

those palms you were asking about are either bottle or spindle palms. i would guess bottle-they won't work for you up in Destin-shoot, they won't even work for me in Umatilla, but they are among my favorites. i had 2 in my yard in the Keys. if you want i can look up the cold hardiest for you-there arent that many. if you can bring them inside that would help. maybe cold hardy bananas for your pool. they can stay outside yearround in containers there. debi

Debi, Thanks! Yesterday I located a really co-o-ol nursery near here that specializes in palms, etc. (and really good prices) so they were a big help with what types of palms to use in this area. Recommendations - Washingtonia, sabal, pindo (don't like those) and even mexican fan. There are a few more that are a little borderline, but they were very helpful so I think I'm on the right track. Barbara

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

you are welcome and good luck! debi

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Glad you found your palms.......now we will expect pictures from you! *grin*
Pati

Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Hi Barbara. I'm looking forward to seeing photographs also. When does your pool installation begin?

Veronica

Melbourne, FL

I'm new to this site, but since putting our pool this year in I've been trying to learn about gardening.

We're further south than you, but have put in the following for that tropical look: christmas palms, traveler palms, alexander palms, triangle palm, areca palms, montgomery plams, coconut palm, lots of vines on trellises, angel/devil trumpets, jatropha, thryallis, and clumping bamboo (hawaiian stripe, sunburst, black - along the far fence away from power lines). I had a completely blank slate to start with, so anything has been an improvement. Obviously, it all still has a lot of growing to do, but I'm loving putting it all together...

Thumbnail by last_mango
Melbourne, FL

Well, bad first attempt at an image. Maybe this will be better?

Thumbnail by last_mango
Homestead, FL(Zone 10b)

Your pool and landscaping look great last_mango. You are going to have a tropical paradise when your plants mature.

Welcome to Dave's Garden!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

This is the pool where I learned to swim 50+ years ago... still my favorite tropical pool!
http://www.venetianpool.com/Gallery/Gallery.html

Casselberry, FL(Zone 9b)

Oh my! That already looks very nice. It is going to look lush in no time! Congratulations on a job well done! Keep us posted every other month or so!!!!!

Darius, you sure know how to tug on the ole' heart strings! That's the pool that all my children used as their old swimming hole! We lived close enough that they could ride their bikes there, which I'm sure they did by sneaking across the Biltmore golf course. *grin*
Pati

Good morning everyone! First, I want to thank ya'll for all your help and suggestions. You're the best!

Secondly, the digging has started! This is exciting, but people tell me that they (pool installers) do this to get you excited and then go away for days or weeks. Hope not.

That pool, Darius, is beautiful and I think it's wonderful that you and Pati's kids got to enjoy it as children.......what a treat!
So I'm sending photos of the beginning. As you can see, my yard is very small (very typical of here) so placement is important. Don't flip out when you see the color of my house.......again, it's typical of this area to do nature's colors and cottage styles.

Again, thanks for your help.
Barbara

Thumbnail by BDunn

And another..........

Thumbnail by BDunn

Maybe a shot of my tiny front yard.........the plants are in the works. Remember I only moved here in April.

Thumbnail by BDunn

It is exciting to see the start...and anticipate the finish!! And, by the way, I really like the color of your house.
Pati

Don't mean to "hog" this thread. This is my side yard that's actually used as the front with the newly finished fence and pergola. It will take time for my little evergeen wisterias to fill the pergola. Metal roofs are also typical here as well as screened porches (love my porch!). Thanks for letting me share.

Thumbnail by BDunn

Hey, it's your thread....hog all you want LOL. This is my favorite picture, what a great entry! Love your "birdy door"
Pati

Melbourne, FL

Delecie and AnaM ~ thanks for the comments. It's great fun to learn about new plants and watch this stuff grow. (Just got back from buying a black-eyed susan vine (I'm may be a vine addict), a tibouchina, and some heliconia to add this weekend).

Darius and Pati ~ what an amazing place to swim! Wow, I had never heard of it, I will have to try and see it someday.

Barbara ~ your house and yard look lovely, what a neat/different area of Florida. You will really enjoy the pool. Ours was just put in this past February and I can't believe how much more time we spend in the yard. We have been in the pool every day, I think. I know I would never have been able to plant this stuff without the pool to cool off in this summer!

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Mango, it was, and IS a great pool, Venetian Pool in Coral Gables. You should go once, just to experience it!

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

i forgot to watch this thread. man, things are happening. what a cool looking area! i think it looks pretty darn good already, no need to apologise for anything. and as pati said, it's your thread. got a laugh out of that one! i hope it's still coming along ok. i checked out that tropicals site you told me about. very neat plants. i have so many nurseries on my favorites. i have to get more organized on this computer. LOL. debi

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Hi - I'm growing ornamental dwarf red bananas (musa coccinea) in pots.

The're striking - the leaves are dark green with red blotches, and red underneath. They produce red (inedible) fruit. I've read that they grow well in pots. They're hardy to zone 8.

I've bought a couple of small ones at Target for $3.98 (at least in this part of FL). They double their size in no time! You can find them with pups; I bought one that had already had 2, and it's growing another one. I haven't seen them at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Hope this helps.

Steve

Thumbnail by skaz421
Ocoee (W. Orlando), FL(Zone 9b)

Walmart is also carrying bananas, in the $3-4.00 range.
MerryMary

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.