air-layering

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Hello
I don't have much luck with cuttings , about 50/50 and I was wondering if anybody knows a good pictorial step by step for the beginner propogator.

Neil

Fort Wayne, IN(Zone 5a)

Check your local Co-0perative Extension office. They should have a good publication on layering. Jessamine

Monroe, NY(Zone 6b)

Hi Neil,

Check my thread on " air layering citrus(lemon)". You may find it helpful.

Sal

This message was edited Sep 13, 2005 11:48 PM

Key West, FL(Zone 11)

Thanks Sal
Very helpfull.
I'll get cracking and let you know. How long does it take to take root.

Neil

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Neil, If layering on the soil or in a pot is an option for any of the plants you're propagating, I would recommend it over air layering. I've found it hard to keep those pockets of spagnum or potting mix moist. But I've had great luck with scoring a branch, dusting with rooting hormone, and securing it to the ground or in a pot of soil.

I did see a product (offered by Farm Tech, I think) that is a specially designed cup that snaps into place onto the stem filled with media. It was designed for easy watering which would be a big plus.

Good luck, Neal.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I haven't tried air layering yet, but I'm thinking that mixing a good dose of those moisture crystals in with the peat moss would help a lot to keep the medium moist enough.

Monroe, NY(Zone 6b)

Neil,
As long as you have both top and bottom nice and tight, using wire twist ties or a good substitute, it really shouldn't dry out that quickly. I've also noticed that if you wrap the whole thing with foil, it will reduce drying even further and speed up the rooting process as that wounded area needs total darkness so that the plant itself will produce its own rooting hormones.
In the growing season (depending on the type of plant) it should take about 3-4 weeks.

Good luck, Sal

Rockford, IL(Zone 5a)

I'm a beginner in propation and I have this book that I love, you might want to purchase your own or check your local library to find it for you.

The American Horticultural Society: Plant Propagation
Editor-in-Chief Alan Toogood
ISBN: 9 780789 441164
DK Publishing, Inc.
$35.00

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.