How to Milkweed seeds ??

Northern Michigan, MI(Zone 5a)

I recv'd the following milkweed seeds and want to know exactly how I should plant for my zone. I'm thinking they should be started indoors because of my zone. Do I need to refrigerate for 6-weeks first or just wait and pot the seeds up in January with my other stuff under lights ???

Vining milkweed (name unknown)
Silky Gold Milkweed
Scarlet Blood flower Milkweed

Thanks for any info...

~Julie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hardy milkweed needs a refrigeration period. You can winter sow those if you prefer.

Tropicals can just be started inside.

Unfortunately for me I don't know which is hardy and which is tropical....

I need to do more research obviously, but so far the above named are showing they need warmer climes than mine to be considered perennial....my understanding of it so far anyway...lol.

~Julie

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

So far as I know, both the Silky Gold and Scarlet Bloodflower are Asclepias curassavica which can be sown in spring for summer flowers. The ones I sowed in March are blooming nicely.

I am not positive on your vining one, since there are a few plants commonly called that. Here, we have them that are either perennial or in the least dililgent self seeders. LOL You would be best off to ask the person you got the seeds from. I would cold treat what we have here but if yours came from down south, they may not need a treatment at all.

The ones you sowed in the spring.... did you refrigerate first and then sow indoors to start them out ???

The vining milkweed came as an unknown...lol. I guess it will be a surprise.

~Julie =0)

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Whoops! I don't 'watch' this one.

The A. curassivica is a tropical. You do not need to cool that one. It will also bloom in a few months after starting the seeds. I just sowed them in trays and popped them in the GH.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.