Vitex/Crossandra

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

How do I plant Vitex and Crossandra seeds to get them to germinate and grow plants?? I cannot find any information on growing these and I have searched the web!! Thanks!! Bonnie

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

http://www.theseedsite.co.uk/
Did you try this place? I like that only successes are listed. I'm with you, though - have been looking for good information on how to germinate seeds, in what mediums (sand etc?) and when.

Sharon

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

stownes--Thanks for the attempt to help but that information is way too general. Not everything can be sown the same way and so if you do not know what that particular seed NEEDS--it will not grow----unless you get lucky and accidentally sow it the proper way. You know--some things need to be in the freezer or refrigerator for a period of time, some need to soak in boiling water prior to sowing, some need to be scarified, etc. If something that needs to be soaked in boiling water is simply poked into soil and watered like regular seeds--basil, tomato, etc--then it will do nothing at all or will rot. Not exactly what you are attempting to do, eh? I was hoping someone here who grows these plants could offer more exact info. Vitex is a tree and Crossandra is a water plant. That is about all I know about them!! Bonnie

Mansfield, TX(Zone 8a)

I know what you mean!! Have been looking for a good reference for the same things, and it is very hard to find. Will be watching this and hoping someone - surely - will have the answers.
Sharon

Clovis, NM(Zone 7a)

I can give you a little info about the Vitex. I have had luck with the zip-lock bag method and also using a 50/50 mixture of vercumilite and perlite.

For the zip-lock bag method, you take a paper towel and water it down. Next you will get rid of all of the excess water in the towel, you want it to be damp. Then just place the seeds in the moist paper towel, place in a zip-lock bag and check everyday or two for germination. This is a very fast method for getting seeds to germinate. Once the seeds have germinated, you may then transplant them to a small pot or flat.

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

Thank you so much Z71JROD!! Will give it a shot!! Got plenty of seeds to try with--after I get a coupel started then and the plants are strong then I will trade the rest!! YOur method would probably work ok for Crossandra as well!! Bonnie

Clovis, NM(Zone 7a)

Your Welcome! I was really suprised at how well the zip-lock bag method works. I bought some seeds off of E-bay and this method was included inside of the instructions. It works very well. The crape myrtle seeds and desert willow seeds sprouted in 3 to 4 days, I was really amazed. I believe the Vitex took me around 10-14 days(give or take).

Proctorville, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you... I've been lurking & wondering.... Now to go try & make babies.

Laurens, SC(Zone 8a)

I KNEW I wasn't the only one dying to start seeds that I had no clue what to do with! hehehe Glad to be of assistance southernOhio!! Bonnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.