do daylily seeds come true to type?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I just saved some seeds from my 'Happy Returns' daylily. There weren't any other daylilies blooming within 50 feet, and may not have been any others blooming at all when these flowers were open, so I'm pretty sure they were self pollinated. When I grow them out, can I expect them to be 'Happy Returns', or will I get an assortment of daylilies from these seeds? I'll grow them out regardless, but I'm curious as to what I can expect.

Thanks!

San Jose, CA

They will not be the same as the parent plant, even if the blooms were self-pollinated. Daylily seeds are always a hybrid and, since the genetics are different in each seed, each child will be different. You may, however, get a number of children that are similar to Happy Returns. You might get some surprises too that you don't expect (like an unusual color).

Have fun!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks -- that's the information I was looking for! I grew out some seeds this spring from crosses that PoppySue had made, and I'm looking forward to an assortment of surprises from them next summer. It will be fun to anticipate the same variety from these seeds. I'm going to hope that I get a couple of strong rebloomers in the mix, although if reblooming were a dominant trait, I suspect there would be more reblooming daylilies available.

San Jose, CA

There are a lot of reblooming daylilies, but they don't necessarily rebloom in every climate zone and may or may not rebloom each year. If you could get a reliable rebloomer in your zone, that would be a great find. I'm in Zone 9 and a lot of my reblooming daylilies didn't rebloom, although I noticed a scape or two starting up today.

Caistor, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

Guess thats why there are so many different daylilies...........................if they dont come true from seed, then i guess the seedling will be classed as a new plant!!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've got another wonderful set of DL seeds to grow out this year....

Since Mark bumped up this thread, which I think may have been my first post to the DL forum, I wanted to take the opportunity to say how much I appreciate the generosity of this forum! People here have been patient with my questions, have been willing to take the time to answer my questions and direct me to useful links, and have even shared their seeds with me. Also, the photos on this forum are amazing!!

THANKS!

Cordele, GA(Zone 8a)

Just had to say Happy Birthday to you critter, because your sentiments of others in your above post is exactly how I feel about watching your threads. You have really shared alot of valuable gardening tips both by your questions and the experiences you've shared. Have a wonderful Birthday!
Deborah♥

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Deborah... you're a sweetie! I love the cooperative atmosphere here, and I think we all learn a lot from one another... and we don't always learn from the experts, either... as you said, sometimes novice questions end up sparking really useful discussions! I know I learn something new from DG every single day. :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.