How do I collect Thunbergia alata seeds?

San Jose, CA

I found the brownish yellow pods after the flowers died down, but I didn't see anything that looked like seeds. The pods seemed to be empty.

I'd really like to save some seeds from these plants. I have a number of flowers still on the vines, so I have time to collect if I can figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I don't know this plant specifically, but it sounds like the pods opened and dropped their seeds before you picked them. Sometimes, it helps to bag the flowers (like with a section of panty hose) so the seeds can finish maturing on the plant, but if they are dropped the bag will catch them.

Greensboro, NC(Zone 7a)

I haven't planted these in a couple of years but I remember I would check the seed pods everyday after work. They burst pretty quickly once they fully ripen. If you don't want to be as "anal" as I was checking everyday :) the pantyhose idea is perfect. I did waste a few pods by picking early but it helped me to recognize what the pod would look like when it really was ready to open. Good luck!

San Jose, CA

Thanks for the help. Do all of the pods have seeds in them? There are some that don't seem ripe at all and I can't detect anything that looks like seeds. The seem to be empty.

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

The seeds will look like little hollow, bumpy bowls that do have a hole in them. Sometimes people don't know that or forget. :)

Bartlesville, OK(Zone 6a)

I have the same problem. I try to check on them every day and they are usually already done. Then I found one one day, brought it in put it in a dish and heard a very big POP and it burst it's seeds all over the cabinet. I found only 1. Don't know where the others, if there were any, got to. LOL

I really hate to buy these every year when I know I could collect them if I were quick enough.
Susan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.