Propagating catnip

(Laura) Olympia, WA(Zone 8a)

I've collected the seeds from my catnip plant. Should I plant them as soon as the frosts hit, or should I wait until spring?

Also, do I need to actually remove the seeds, or is getting them down to the single seed pods enough?

Dansville, NY(Zone 6a)

getting them down to the seed is prolly best. I just pick the blossom when most of the pedals
have died off then let them dry out , then just put them in a container with a lid and shake.
the seed fall out really easy. you can just tap the flower cluser and seeds will fall out if
there ready.

I just take cutting from a plant, it roots very easy and fast and can take alot of abuse.
like forgetting to water .. i have had plants that were just laying right over , almost dehydrated
and just soaked the dirt with water, next day ther perked back up.

why wait ? grow some in the house. I have them inside and my cat just help herself when she
gets the mood. Also makes some good tea with them also , catnip with spearmint or peppermint.

I'm taking seeds from a friend’s plant. She swears that it is an annual version that dies off every year, even if she brought it inside and she had to buy new plants every year. It didn't make much sense to me, from any of the experiences I've had with catnip plants, but I wasn't going to argue with her. Whatever it is cats seem to love it, even cats that could care less for store bought catnip. So, I want to grow some, thanks for the advice.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

My catnip is an annual, but it self sows like crazy. It's definitely a candidate for fall or winter sowing, or you could sow the seeds in spring.

I'd prefer to just get it out there. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.