Blue Poppy Pod Closeup

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I thought it might be helpful to post a closeup picture of ripe meconopsis pods. They turn bluish brown and the sides begin to peel down from the top to release the seeds.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Western, WI(Zone 4a)

wheez, can you actually grow that poppy in Ak.?

It has such a beautiful color of blue, not found in most blue flowers.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Alaska grows beautiful meconopsis poppies... at least the South Central region does. I have 9 poppy plants myself, and there is a wonderful blue poppy farm in Palmer, Alaska. We have the cool, moist conditions and lots of summer sun for them.

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Beautiful, WG. I and pure green envy right now!

I didn't get the seed you sent me earlier in the year planted, and it was probably too hot this year anyway. Do you think if I plant it out this fall that it will yet germinate? I'm hoping that the cold mushy springs that we get will give them a chance. and if it gets too hot, I may give them ice water, assuming I get any to grow!! Do I sound too desparate??

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Kathleen, you might try winter sowing them. Remember that they like moisture, but not standing water. Good drainage is important. Plant the seeds in a well-drained area.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

I'm going to put them in the northeast corner right next to the house. It is all fill there, kind of gravely. The moss grows quite freely and bulbs do well, so I don't think there are any standing water issues. I'll wait until October to actually put them in the ground, though. Inspite of the fact that school starts tomorrow, we do still have some summer left.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yeah, summer is over here! The lawn is littered with leaves and the fall rains have begun.

Yates City, IL(Zone 5a)

Hiya, Weezingreens,

It's me in search of the elusive blue poppy....
I had spoken to you earlier about some meconopsis seed,
and you offered some of your seed....

Well I still realllllly would like some. What and how do you do this?
Never have did the seed swap thing thru the 'puter....
All info is greatly appreciated....

dd

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Hi, dd. I'll email ya!

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

I'm new at this - I just saw this blue poppy - I have to have it - how can I get some seed or where can I buy the seeds. It's gorgeous. THANKS - HELP!!!

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Click on my name and email me, rose_mallow.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.