Asparagus fern

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

I have a few clumps of asparagus fern in my yard. I am rearranging every thing in my yard as we are putting in an irrigation system. Should I keep the asparagus fern? Eyeballing it I get the feeling that it could be one of those plants that gets out of control. I do like the light green color and low growing habit. Anybody with any experience with asparagus fern have an opinion??

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Like you have a choice! This is the hardest plant to remove. Looks nice in floral arrangements and is hardy. Be sure to watch for red berry like seeds, and remove them to help control it.
As for removing it, forget about that, it's nearly impossible.
sidney

Archer/Bronson, FL(Zone 8b)

Barksey,

If it's in the ground GET RID OF IT WHILE YOU STILL HAVE THE CHANCE!!!!!!

I don't say that of any plants, ever, except this one. Those babies will send runners out through the underground and you will be fighting them forever.

When I moved here there were ancient aspg ferns growing up the back fence and into my yard about 8 feet. I doused them with roundup full force 3 times and they still come back. You need gloves everytime you pull them. I've been trying for a year now and still working at it.

Hanging baskets, yes great, but not in the ground

Molly
:^)))

Oh Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I checked the plant file too and it sounds like a real tiger and on the invasive species list to boot. I will at least try to remove it. Sarah

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

sarah, aren't you very pregnant? Be careful.
sidney

Thanks Sugarweed. I should say that I will at least have my husband remove it!!

Palm Coast, FL(Zone 9a)

I have one clump that I've been trying to eradicate for three years! I used to love it, but now that I want to re-arrange my garden, it feels it has growing rights there.....I'm going to ask hubby to dig it out AGAIN.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.