Dead cherry tree.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 4b)

I was wondering if anyone can answer a question for me. This year my cherry tree died, but there are a lot of shoots coming up from the base of the tree, which I took a picture of. If I cut most of the shoots off and leave 1 or 2, will they produce fruit, or should I just cut the whole thing down and forget about it? I would appreciate any advice. Last year it was full of cherries, and I really hate to lose it. Thanks.

Marilyn

Thumbnail by Gods_country
Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If it was a regular cherry tree ( not a wild type) the sprouts will be from the rootstock on which the cultivar was grafted. These are not usually edible cherries.

Gladwin, MI(Zone 4b)

Thanks Farmerdill!

Marilyn

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

Marilyn,
Your photo shows what's left of your cherry tree, as well as a few other trees, in heavy shade. How much shade do these trees receive? Are they dwarf or semi-dwarf trees? To do well fruit trees need direct sunlight all day. It could be an illusion, but they seem to be very close to each other as well. Root competition and branch competition will be a problem. If they are too close to each other, you'll find that in a few years you will have to remove some trees to give those that remain room to grow and produce properly.

I also noticed a slight slope but don't see any watering rings or any other method that ensures the roots get watered properly. Does a slope exist?

You may want to find out the cause of death of this tree. If your state has a Forestry Service, contact them for information. We lost many of our water oaks and a technician was sent to look at my dead trees and tell me what the problem was.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.