Gloriosa lily color variation

Brisbane, Australia(Zone 10a)

I have some gloriosa lilies in a house I moved in to this winter. Some flowered earlier this summer and were the typical flaming red/brilliant yellow variety http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/4595/. Lately, a second crop of gloriosas has been blooming. These are more of a light green/yellow with apricot tips. They tend to come off of a more delicate plant than the typical kind. Are these a different type of gloriosa, or are they just unhealthy versions of the typical type? I kind of prefer the more subtle ones and would like to encourage them. Any input appreciated.

Thumbnail by barksy
Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

Very interesting variation of the Gloriosa, barksy. Thanks for posting. A neighbor has a similar color Gloriosa covering their fence in their front yard and I thought it odd that they would be blooming so profusely at this time of year, so perhaps it is a different species or cultivar of Gloriosa. There are only 4 Gloriosa varieties in the DG Plant Files:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/adv_search.php?search_type%5Bcommon%5D=contains&searcher%5Bcommon%5D=&search_type%5Bfamily%5D=contains&searcher%5Bfamily%5D=&search_type%5Bgenus%5D=contains&searcher%5Bgenus%5D=Gloriosa&search_type%5Bspecies%5D=contains&searcher%5Bspecies%5D=&search_type%5Bcultivar%5D=contains&searcher%5Bcultivar%5D=&search_type%5Bhybridizer%5D=contains&searcher%5Bhybridizer%5D=&Search=Search

Your variety may be the second one in the Plant Files list but it is difficult to tell from the Plant Files photos. I would sure like to get a sprout of your Gloriosa next spring if any extras pop up!

Jeremy

I should have some extras as gloriosa basically acts like a weed in my yard. But I had to move a bunch of them recently even though it's too early due to installation of an irrigation system. I am hoping that they survive and if so, I can definitely share.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 8b)

I've found the gloriosas that I have ('Rothschildiana') move easily. Even though they often die back to the ground from the stress of being moved, the plant emerges again later in the year or in the spring time. I also find they keep popping up from the original location where I found them in my yard when I bought the house. They were growing in too much shade and didn't bloom. Every time I think I've gotten them all out of the original location, I find another dozen have sprouted! It seems that any portion of the bulblet will start a whole new plant, so you will probably find you will have even more as a result of moving them. I've moved mine around to just about every available spot in my garden and am now giving away the new arrivals.

Jeremy

Good to hear some survived your moving them, Jeremy, as the ones I have moved look pretty insulted and likely to croak. The gloriosa bulbs are often entangled in roots of various shrubs and when I dig them out, often a fragment is left. So they slowly spread all over the yard. These unusual ones were growing along with regular ones so it will take awhile to sort out whose who.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.