Thalictrum seeds?

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

I have Thalictrum aquilegifolium (the purple one) which I was able to collect the seeds. Also have Thalictrum delavayi, the regular one and 'Hewitt's Double'. I would like to collect the seeds from them too. The seeds pod of the delavayi is pretty flat, unlike the aquilegifolium. Will they give viable seeds?

Thanks.

Fang

Atascadero, CA(Zone 8a)

Fang. . .the American Horticultural Society Plant Propagation book states:

"The popular cultivar 'Hewitt's Double' is sterile and can be increased only by division. Divide the rhizomes carefully as growth begins in midspring (as you would divide an iris). Divisions can be slow to re-establish and may not flower until the second year. Sometimes rhizomes with some roots and buds at the edges of a clump may be detached without necessarily lifting the parent. Pot and grow on in part shade until established."

Further, regarding seed collecting in other cultivars, it states:

"Gather seeds just before they ripen and turn brown; once ripe, they are rapidly dispersed. They are best sown fresh: older seeds germinate erratically because of embroyo dormancy (several methods are used to break dormancy, but that is another whole thread; much less trouble to sow fresh). Sow seeds in a sheltered place such as a cold frame. Seed-raised plants take 2-3 years to reach flowering size."

Hope this helps some in your efforts. I looked these up in PF, since I have not grown them and and they are really pretty.

8-) Janet

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

Janet,

Thanks a lot for the information. That helps a lot. Past days, I was trying to figure it out where seeds are.

Yes, they are really pretty. The plant also very fragile, need support.

Fang

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.